Search Community

Appending Sequences from Conditional Statements to the Timeline Object

innocean_dev test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

**See Codepen URL**

I'm trying to create a simple sequence that fades out "Test" after 4 seconds, and then fade out "Rest" after 2 seconds. "Best" will remain. When I append outside of the "if" statement, the sequence works—but inside of the statement—it does not register. I am able to detect as existing all of the elements (div, array, timeline object, etc) in the statement with the console log. It appears though that appending a sequence from an embedded "if" statement will not work. It has to be done on the root level with the Timeline object. Is this correct? Or is there a way to make this work with my current setup? (I've added notations to the code.) Thanks!

See the Pen PLQymo?editors=1111 by gredesign (@gredesign) on CodePen

I'll be honest .. there is A LOT going on in that CodePen and it's tough to really get a sense of what you want. But, in basic logical terms ... it sounds like you want an array like this

myString = ["Jest", "Crest", "Test", "", "Rest", "", "", "Best", "", "", "", "Fest"];

To be iterated over, where each value is worth 2 ... and if an empty string is encountered, its value of 2 is added to the first backward-looking non-empty string.

Such that you could end up with these two arrays for strings and timing,

/// After being processed

myString = ["Jest", "Crest", "Test", "Rest", "Best", "Fest"];

myTiming = [2, 2, 4, 6, 8, 2];

Here is how I would do it

See the Pen aMqQwe?editors=1111 by sgorneau (@sgorneau) on CodePen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Shaun… I am truly impressed. Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I was worried that my aim would not be fully understood, but you got it down solid. Thanks again. I will look through the code to understand your process at arriving with this solution.

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks! I do have a question. It might add a bit of complexity. Not sure. So I'm hoping to have all of the blocks (except the first) start of with 0 opacity—and after the first block fades off, the next fades in—until it gets to the last block (which will not fade out). The reason for is that in the final application, these blocks will be absolute position (stacked on one another), and it will just be text (no blue background). Kinda like one headline fading out and one fading in. Is there a simple solution to this that integrates with the logic you have already provided?

No too complex at all ... just an additional .set() and .to()! That's it :)

Have a look at lines 38 and 39 40 and 41. One note, I also added a 1 second delay to the timeline itself for a softer intro (line 5).

Edit: I added a class of "hide" to <div id="headlines"> ... and then a function to the timeline to remove that class (line 31) to stop the flash of all on then all off.

And lines 42-44 to keep the last headline on screen (no tweening to autoAlpha 0)

See the Pen pYaGER?editors=1111 by sgorneau (@sgorneau) on CodePen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shaun,

I'm here again. I was attempting to resolve the animation to the end using "headlines_tl.progress(1, false)," but it didn't work. Since this timeline was generated in a sort of dynamic way, is there a different approach I should be utilizing in order to pause it?

headlines_tl.progress(1,false) will certainly push the playhead to the end of the tween while supressing events ... is that what you're looking to do? To pause the Timeline, you can always use headlines_tl.pause() ... but I'm not sure if you want to jump to the end, or pause it ?

What is your overall goal?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shaun, it was to jump to the end. I ended up figuring it out with the help of another GSAP rep. I don't know why, but when I checked back on this thread yesterday and today, I didn't see your reply. But you actually replied on Monday. Not sure why that was. But the other GSAP rep told me you replied and now it popped up. Lol. Anyhow, thanks for looking into and for your help with this. Looks like its good to go. ;-)