Search Community

AMPhtml WTF?

somnamblst test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Is anyone hearing about Google pushing AMPhtml, no javascript allowed ads? I noticed the ask on the Animate Forum, and that there will be a pre release Animate product that addresses this, and that currently GWD is AMP production capable.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2514134

Feb 20, 2019 6:00 AM (in response to nzb17299)

It is still in development and needs to get to a stable state to be shared with the pre-release.

Google Serves 11X More AMPHTML Ads Compared to Last Year

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-serves-11x-more-amphtml-ads-compared-to-last-year/294519/

Not quite sure where you got the idea that Google was not allowing JavaScript in banner ads because the AMP itself is a JS library. A move by Google to disable all other third-party JS libraries would have huge ramifications for libs like our beloved @GreenSock, Create, etc. 

I get the concern that it could be a move by the Googs to lock people into DoubleClick / GWD, but we'll have to see what happens. That being said, I get the rationale for wanting to move development forward by increasing performance / load times of ads.

The fact that Adobe is working on making Animate able to compete with GWD on AMP compliant ads, makes me think it is something that could change how we work., just via popularity of faster loading. Not sure why they are claiming AMP is more secure as a selling point.

35 minutes ago, somnamblst said:

The fact that Adobe is working on making Animate able to compete with GWD on AMP compliant ads, makes me think it is something that could change how we work., just via popularity of faster loading. Not sure why they are claiming AMP is more secure as a selling point.

Posts like this tend to be targeted at managers, etc and not developers. It's only natural that they'd use language like "better performance, "more secure", "increase ROI" to try to get people to adopt it.

1 hour ago, explorerzip said:

Not quite sure where you got the idea that Google was not allowing JavaScript in banner ads because the AMP itself is a JS library. A move by Google to disable all other third-party JS libraries would have huge ramifications for libs like our beloved @GreenSock, Create, etc. 

I get the concern that it could be a move by the Googs to lock people into DoubleClick / GWD, but we'll have to see what happens. That being said, I get the rationale for wanting to move development forward by increasing performance / load times of ads.

It's not that they're not allowing JavaScript in banners, but that AMPHTML Ads only allow <amp-***> specific components, like <amp-carousel> and <amp-accordion>, and some inline css animation; you can't write your own JS, and no external assets via <script> or <link> tags as far as I understand. So no, you wouldn't be able to use GSAP in an AMPHTML Ad.

Being unable to use your own JS, and the fact that everything lives on Googles servers is the reason they are touting these as more secure.

I got invited to a thing at Google here in NYC later this month; hope to learn more then...

I just have not cared for the GWD components. Nor heard anyone saying they love GWD. There may be some GWD gurus who could prove me wrong.

As far as living on Google servers, don't ad files live on Google Servers if they are in DCM or DFP, and use Google CDN hosted GSAP?

On 2/22/2019 at 9:34 PM, somnamblst said:

Google Serves 11X More AMPHTML Ads Compared to Last Year

Yea, I read this recently as well, and feel like it's a crock-of-$h!t. It's likely if they gave you a cross section of these ads, they would mostly be GWD templates or templates that you can build straight from DV360. Most of these are bland, static and make brands look the same as each other, which is fine for a large percentage of advertisers. But I'm sure, like me most of you are working with brands who really want to show off something creative and new, and a template that anyone can use would be out of the question.

I did see that they've got AirBnb's Bodymoving Player as a component for AMP now.

https://ampbyexample.com/components/amp-bodymovin-animation/

I wonder if it were possible for a GSAP component to be built as well?

The only whitelisted animation component currently is:

https://www.ampproject.org/docs/reference/components/amp-animation

Which uses the Web Animations API, I haven't used it but I've not really seen much traction with WAAPI apart from some posts on Twitter.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, explorerzip said:

I'd rather not wait to see what happens but join the conversation and direct them down a path that is more suitable.

As I understand it, AMP-Ads are not allowing arbitrary JavaScript to run which would mean a subset of animation properties using GSAP (ala TweenNano) would be perfectly valid if it could be verified as safe before being served.

If you have the time, please join the AMP Slack Group: https://amphtml.slack.com (Sign Up form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd83J2IZA6cdR6jPwABGsJE8YL4pkypAbKMGgUZZriU7Qu6Tg/viewform?fbzx=4406980310789882877) and join the #a4a-discuss channel and voice your concerns. (And support for a AMP-GSAP component)!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, @joe_midi. It looks like people need an invite to join that Slack channel, right? 

I can't imagine why they wouldn't whitelist GSAP since it's already the only robust animation library that's whitelisted on every major ad network including Google's. Are you familiar with any push-back being offered in that regard? 

• Like 1

Just now, GreenSock said:

It looks like people need an invite to join that Slack channel, right? 

oh Slack signup is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd83J2IZA6cdR6jPwABGsJE8YL4pkypAbKMGgUZZriU7Qu6Tg/viewform?fbzx=4406980310789882877

3 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

I can't imagine why they wouldn't whitelist GSAP since it's already the only robust animation library that's whitelisted on every major ad network including Google's. Are you familiar with any push-back being offered in that regard? 

That's the thing why that doesn't make sense, GSAP is already whitelisted and already on a number of ad network CDNs, so it shouldn't really make a difference. If Adobe Animate are creating the an amp-adobe-animate component, then wouldn't they be using Create.js as that is what Animate files use to run their animations? Create.js is also whitelisted by Google Ad CDN, so then why wouldn't GSAP be allowed as well?

I feel like there isn't enough voices telling the people moving this forward what they actually want. And as @explorerzip says, a lot of the conversations that probably happen will be with managers and business types rather than developers and animators.

53 minutes ago, joe_midi said:

If Adobe Animate are creating the an amp-adobe-animate component, then wouldn't they be using Create.js 

I don't know what they are trying to do. They made a premature announcement in early Feb., that the prerelease would have AMP functionality and they had to walk it back, saying not until it is stable, on Feb. 20.  Still no update. Maybe it will be a new publish mode. I don't think it is just getting creatjs white listed.

Hi there, I'm a product manager working on AMP.

Regarding the Adobe Animate plugin, it's supposed to be in the prerelease channel later this week or next week and launch in a few months. 

Regarding GSAP integration in AMP, we'd love that! AMP is an open source project and as long you as the library can be ported to the open source repo as an amp component, we should be good shape. 

We are organizing an ad developer workshop in NYC on Mar 20th to get as much developer feedback as possible. If you'd like provide feedback, feel free to reach out to me (jasti@) or the #a4a-discuss channel on the AMP slack channel. (Details above).

Also, if you are an ads developer,  you may find https://medium.com/ampfuel/use-amphtml-ads-for-ad-performance-page-usability-user-safety-a36dd70b1100 or https://medium.com/@cramforce/but-what-about-the-ads-bfe5025b6606 more interesting .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vamsee Jasti said:

We are organizing an ad developer workshop in NYC on Mar 20th to get as much developer feedback as possible. If you'd like provide feedback, feel free to reach out to me (jasti@) or the #a4a-discuss channel on the AMP slack channel. (Details above).

Would you be able to add a Live Stream for this workshop for those of us not able to make it to NYC? As a lot of us are freelancers and wouldn't have an agency contact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, joe_midi said:

Would you be able to add a Live Stream for this workshop for those of us not able to make it to NYC? As a lot of us are freelancers and wouldn't have an agency contact.

Unfortunately, about 80% of the workshop is a hackathon trying to convert existing ads from H5 to AMP and will have little value live streaming. If this is successful, we are happy to more of these globally and online versions.

18 hours ago, somnamblst said:

Am I being rude when I say I am not impressed by any of the examples, or components. 

No, I think it is fair to say.

What would be really helpful is if you could try and re-create some of your best Ad examples as AMP Ads and document the results and difficulties in doing so.

I can imagine a large portion of the great examples shown in the Inspiration thread, would not be able to be made as AMP : 

The more we're able to document the issues with building great AMP Ads, the more we would be able to get better features supported in AMP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joe_midi said:

What would be really helpful is if you could try and re-create some of your best Ad examples as AMP Ads and document the results and difficulties in doing so.

We'll be doing some of that at the event here in NYC on the 20th, from what I gather. I'll post findings here, as I'm able, after the event.

• Like 2

It look's like the Animate prerelease that publishes for AMP may have dropped. Just posted on the Adobe forum

"I tested the new tool and I do a lot of HTML5 banners for Google Ads for clients... Now I have to switch to AMPHTML clients can't load HTML5 ads anymore ?

The conversion from HTML5 or from FLA works good but the publish do not work with symbols...just Images... and it does not work with Shapes. 
I would like to add script like HTML5 like stop timeline or interactivity like a focused exit button would that be good ?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! So, I went to the AMP Ads workshop at Google's NYC headquarters a couple of weeks ago. It was great to get to meet the Google team and hear the justifications for AMP, and also to voice our questions and concerns about the road ahead.

There were representatives from five different agencies or production houses there (including myself), and without fail, the number one thing that each of us begged for was GSAP support. The Google engineers had apparently considered integrating animejs a while back, but balked at the 16k size of the library; GSAP is closer to ~30k, but they obviously are aware of how much we lean on the platform, so we'll see what they come up with. They're also considering implementing Canvas, which will open up some alternate avenues for us to do cool things like particles, etc.

One other thing - they asked us to provide sample creative units that we had built beforehand, and at the event they showed us our regular html5 units that had been converted with an internal tool (kind of like Swiffy, back in the day!). They looked great, minus some interactivity (hover-state animation); the thought is that such a tool could get us 90% of the way to a finished unit. I don't know when/if it will become widely available.

Anyway; other things to consider:

- re. security, there are more and more stories like this one, of shady ad networks perpetrating ad fraud

- not only is it a matter of security for users, it's also a matter of site performance, which impacts users' data and battery performance

- the uptick in AMP ads served is increasing

- the AMP HTML project is open-source, so you can contribute by making or improving components, etc.

- GWD outputs AMP ads

- as mentioned elsewhere, Adobe Animate will also output AMP. I saw a couple of sample units from the prerelease of this, and one was wack, but the other looked pretty impressive

- AMP ads work anywhere, not just AMP pages

That's it; hopefully, if someone from the AMP team checks out this post (which they've seen ?), they'll correct me, or fill in details!

• Like 4