Search Community

Did 2.1, immediateRender default behaviour changed?

jesper.landberg test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Yes, sort of. It was considered a "bug" (though I suppose that's arguable) that things would render immediately when the timeline was paused. Notice your timeline is initially paused, thus the from() tweens technically shouldn't render. See what I mean? 

You have two options: 

1. Don't pause the timeline initially (there's really no reason to because you call play() on the same tick). 
  2. Specify immediateRender:true in your tweens to force it. 

To be clear, the new behavior only affects the DEFAULT value (when you don't specify immediateRender one way or the other). 

Does that help? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

Yes, sort of. It was considered a "bug" (though I suppose that's arguable) that things would render immediately when the timeline was paused. Notice your timeline is initially paused, thus the from() tweens technically shouldn't render. See what I mean? 

You have two options: 

1. Don't pause the timeline initially (there's really no reason to because you call play() on the same tick). 
  2. Specify immediateRender:true in your tweens to force it. 

To be clear, the new behavior only affects the DEFAULT value (when you don't specify immediateRender one way or the other). 

Does that help? 

Makes sense, thanks:)

• 2 weeks later...

In 2.1.0, we changed the default immediateRender for **paused** TimelineLite/Max from(), fromTo(), staggerFrom(), staggerFromTo() calls to be false because a few people considered it a "bug" to have a paused timeline render anything (including starting values). However, since releasing 2.1.0, it has come to our attention that the change made a bigger impact on our user base than anticipated and it was a pain point. It altered behavior, so we decided it's better to revert to the old default, and to introduce a change like this in a future major version update. My apologies for any confusion the 2.1.0 change caused anyone. 2.1.2 (just released) restores the old immediateRender defaults. And to be clear, this only ever affected timelines that were paused at the time the from()/fromTo()/staggerFrom()/staggerFromTo() calls were made. 

Does that clear things up? 

• Like 3