Search Community

How to morph a shape into a new shape maintaining its size and shape

omarel test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm practicing the morphSVGplugin and may just not be understanding its capabilities.

I'm trying to morph a shape into a new shape that is larger and in a different spot in the DOM. (It seems it only morphs a shape into another one, but the properties of the first shape are retained.)

Here's my pen, Im trying to morph the 0 into the rectangle, but the 0 is turning into the rectangle in its same spot and is like cut off with no room to be full like the rectangle. I'm not sure how I would morph the 0 into the rectangle but make it large and move into the spot of the rectangle.

See the Pen exEWWM by omarel (@omarel) on CodePen

See the Pen exEWWM by omarel (@omarel) on CodePen

Yeah, I think you might be misunderstanding how morphing works. Basically it takes the path data (the stuff in the "d" attribute of a <path>) and interpolates between two values. Well, that's an oversimplification because it does a ton of stuff under the hood to make that happen in an intuitive way. It does not alter the fill color or other attributes as well, but of course you could animate those too (separately) if you want. But morphing is about the shape itself, and it honors whatever coordinates you feed in.

So in your example, you've got a completely different <svg> element that's elsewhere in the DOM, and the <polygon> in there that's your end shape (the rectangle) has certain coordinates baked into the shape itself - those are what are being used when morphing the "O" shape. 

It would definitely be simplest if you just put both shapes into the same <svg> element so that they share a coordinate system. If you can't do that, it makes things much, much more complicated. You'd have to do a bunch of conversions between coordinate systems (and remember, each could have transforms applied) and edit all of the coordinates in the shape accordingly. Possible? Sure. Easy? Nope, not for most developers. I guess you could also animate the <svg> so that it sits on top of the other one and stretches to match coordinate systems, but even that isn't exactly simple. 

Is there any reason you can't have both shapes in the same <svg> element? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @omarel,

As Jack explains: morph only means morph from one to another shape.

But you can build, vary, control all the other steps (position, rotation, size, timing ...) very easily. Yes, if you like, gradually morph into multiple levels (different shapes). It depends on how it should look like.

Here is a little suggestion ...

See the Pen wNqjmV by mikeK (@mikeK) on CodePen

Happy tweening ...

Mikel

• Like 1

I can put them in the same SVG but then I'm not sure how the placement of an svg with a huge hidden path would lay on the page. I'd have to play with that,  especially given viewbox properties. 

Can tweenMax animate the SVG viewbox?