Search Community

Tell me: how do you clean up your SVG files (and use class-es instead of id's)?

studioalloy test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm a designer by trade but also get designs from others that I want to transform into animations. The problem that I am having is that all the design programs (Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Gimp) export SVG with `id`'s but it would be much easier to work with `class`-es.

I found a lot of tools to optimize SVGs like [SVGO](https://github.com/svg/svgo), which in turn has a lot of options to optimize your files with all kinds of settings and all kinds of platforms, but I don't really see a easy way of transforming just the `id`'s to `class`-es. My current workflow is also converting the design file withint the design program (I prefer is Affinity Designer) and than exporting as SVG, I usually than open it in my code editor and start working on the animation. When I than find something that is wrong in the design I go back to the design program, fix it and export the SVG again. This can happen multiple times a design file and somewhere in there I would love to convert the SVG code to classes.

I was thinking of writing my own tool that transforms the file, but I would first love to hear how others do these kinds of steps or have other tips that could improve my workflow.