Search Community

Chrome -> flickering on scale

RolandSoos test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have 3 boxes animated with scale on this Codepen.

#1 has a parent with overflow hidden -> the scale flicking during the scale animation

#2 has a parent with overflow hidden and the parent has a parent with perspective -> the scale animation is fine

#3 has a parent with overflow hidden and perspective -> the scale animation is fine

Is adding perspective to the overflow:hidden element is the right solution or is there a better way to fix this?

Tested with Chrome 71. Firefox seems fine.

See the Pen BvPPyj by anon (@anon) on CodePen

Hm, I can't seem to notice any "flicking". Are you saying it's vibrating during the scale or something? Chrome has monkeyed with how they render transforms and it's pretty annoying - see https://greensock.com/will-change. 

If setting a perspective "fixes" it on your end, that sounds like a GPU thing (Chrome is layerizing it). You can try force3D:true, or you could experiment with will-change: transform in your CSS but be very careful about that (see the article I linked to above). Or just use perspective :)