Search Community

Combo of Spine, Pixi and GSAP

Math test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

As i just got an email-announcement about an update for Spine 3.7 ( http://esotericsoftware.com/blog/)
Quite some nice new features. So i was wondering, would it be possible to combine Spine with GSAP.
After some research on the forum i noticed that question was asked before...but i didnot find a solution to combine the two easily.
I did remember stumbling on some integration of Spine in a JS-library before. A bit of history search and PixiJS appeared.
Apparently Pixi can read and play Spine animations. ( https://pixijs.io/examples/#/spine/pixie.js ) .
And GSAP has a PixiPlugin ;-)  https://greensock.com/?product-plugin=js-pixiplugin Bingo...

Anyone has tried this combo before ?

Caveats ? Pluses ?

Kind regards,

Math

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with Spine. However, if you can wire up a very basic Spine demo  using CodePen, and explain exactly what it is you want to animate perhaps one of us can give you some pointers.

The good news is that GSAP can animate any numeric property of any object. So if Spine objects have numbers... chances are GSAP can animate them. 

I work mainly in and for elearning companies. Most used rapid elearning authoring tools used are Trivantis Lectora, Articulate Storyline and Adobe Captivate. All 3 deliver HTML5 as endoutput. But all 3 lack in their HTML. And all 3 lack in animation options in it. All have some possibilities, but none compared to GSAP, Spine or Pixi. You can however use Javascript in all 3 to some extent. As im familiar with GSAP, i already made quite some nice enhancements on exercises that were not possible in the elearning authoringtool itself. And allthough i can handle animations quite well in GSAP as is, fellow elearning developers are not as Javascript elaborate, thus i always watch for tools and combos that offer a somewhat easier approach to HTML5 animation. Thus Spine.
I have not yet tried to implement Spine directly into my authoring set as Blake suggest. Might give that a try..
Have implemented GSAP and Pixi succesfully in courses, thus expanding animation options... but as said... my fellow developers cant handle it, so always on the watch for combos with UI-based tools.
Will mockup some samples soon and add them as Codepen.

kind regards,
Math

• Like 1