Search Community

How can I get the init / current tween vars?

TyZ test
Moderator Tag

I have this object that can have multiple tweens over time. But I want to go back to his original state at any time. I also want to store the current tweenvars of the object at anytime, so I can tween back to that state.

So I need somthing like:

var tween:TweenMax = TweenMax.to(object, 1, {...});
this._startVars = tween.startVars;

after some time do some more tweens. (Could happen more than once)

var tween:TweenMax = TweenMax.to(object, 1, {...});
var currentStartVars = tween.startVars;

// and now append the currentStartVars to my _startVars (maybe I am tweening different properties in my seconds tween, so we need those in my _startVars as wel) Maybe the OverwriteManager can do something like that?
OverwriteManager.appendVars(this._startVars, currentStartVars);

And than I want to go back to my orginal state:

TweenMax.to(object, 1, this._startVars);

The other thing I want is to get the current tweenvars at any time (also when tweens are running)

this._currentVars =  TweenMax.getCurrentVars(object);

So at anytime I can go back to that state I just saved in the _currentVars:

TweenMax.to(object, 1, this._currentVars);

Is something like this possible?

Sure, you can do pretty much all of that, but it's not something that should be in the core functionality of the tweening engine - you should do that stuff externally. It sounds like 2 functions would do pretty much all of what you wanted:

//clones an generic object like the one typically passed into TweenLite/Max:
function cloneObject(obj:Object):Object {
   var newObj:Object = {};
   for (var p:String in obj) {
       newObj[p] = obj[p];
   }
   return newObj;
}

//combines obj1 and obj2 (obj2 overwrites overlapping properties in obj1)
function combine(obj1:Object, obj2:Object):Object {
   var p:String;
   for (p in obj1) {
       newObj[p] = obj1[p];
   }
   for (p in obj2) {
       newObj[p] = obj2[p];
   }
   return newObj;
}

//creates a new vars object based on the current values in a tween (this does NOT work for plugin data like filters)
function captureBasicState(tween:TweenLite):Object {
   var ignore:Object = {ease:1, delay:1, overwrite:1, onComplete:1, onCompleteParams:1, useFrames:1, runBackwards:1, startAt:1, onUpdate:1, onUpdateParams:1, roundProps:1, onStart:1, onStartParams:1, onReverseComplete:1, onReverseCompleteParams:1, onRepeat:1, onRepeatParams:1, proxiedEase:1, easeParams:1, yoyo:1, onCompleteListener:1, onUpdateListener:1, onStartListener:1, onReverseCompleteListener:1, onRepeatListener:1, orientToBezier:1, timeScale:1, immediateRender:1, repeat:1, repeatDelay:1, timeline:1, data:1, paused:1};
   for (var p:String in tween.vars) {
       if (!(p in ignore)) {
           newObj[p] = tween.target[p];
       }
   }
   return newObj;
}

If you need to get the current state including plugin data, you'll need to write a more complicated function to parse that data specifically.

Also, remember that in v11, you can pause() any tween and get/set its currentTime value. Render it at any point like myTween.currentTime = ANY_TIME. You can also reverse() anytime or create sequences with TimelineLite/Max. But if you're going in a lot of different directions with different properties and want to tween between disconnected spots in a sequence, you will probably need to use the methods above (or something similar) to track the various properties.

Have fun :)

You must find that data yourself, so if there's a BlurFilter applied, you'd need to find it in the object's filters array and record the current blurX/blurY values, etc. There is no simple/easy solution.

The reason I don't add that kind of functionality to the tweening engine is because:

1) It would require adding new code to every plugin which increases the file size and complexity.

2) It is an extremely uncommon requirement. If I add the code, though, it increases the file size for EVERYONE and potentially degrades performance a bit.

I hope you understand why I'm so protective of both the file size and performance of the engine - many engines have suffered from "feature bloat" that caused them to get really fat and slow - I want to avoid that. I'll keep this scenario in mind, though, for future development - maybe I can figure out an elegant way to accommodate this sort of thing at some point.