Search Community

Problem with resizing GSAP banner

PetkoIvanov test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello everybody,

I am totally new to GreenSock banners, but I have a task, which is suppossed to be not so hard,

but seems to be very hard for me and I would be glad for some help.

I have to make 728x90 test size by modifying the necessary javascript modules and css using GSAP.

Everything I have is in  file.

See the Pen RqBvPo by mikiko16 (@mikiko16) on CodePen

Hi @PetkoIvanov. Don't worry - once you get your head around what GSAP can do and the basic syntax, you'll love what you can do with it. The best place to start is https://greensock.com/get-started-js/ and there are other resources at https://greensock.com/learning. 

We really try to keep these forums focused on GSAP-related questions. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to offer free general consulting or do a whole banner resize for you on something that has over 1000 lines of code. Did you have a question about GSAP that we could answer for you? 

If you're looking for someone to wrap their head around everything going on in that banner and do a resize for you, perhaps it's time to hire an expert in which case you could post in the "Jobs & Freelance" forum: https://greensock.com/forums/forum/15-jobs-freelance/

Good luck with the project. Happy tweening!

• Like 1

You should not need over 1000 lines of code to accomplish this animation, which is relatively straightforward. I think the original developer of this banner ad was trying to make it responsive so that the assets resize and reflow according to the browser window, which makes the code more complex than it needs to be. I've done some experimenting with responsive ads and found it not worth the effort in getting it to work properly on different browsers. IMO, it's much more efficient to create individual sized banner ads since I don't have to go through such rigorous testing. Banners are not web-sites after all.

It might be a lot simpler for you to redo this ad from scratch vs modifying someone else's code. You'll also get some valuable experience writing code on your own. You can write the HTML / CSS / JS from scratch or use a HTML boilerplate. In either case, you should only include what you need i.e. remove CSS, HTML or JS that you don't need thus making the code easier to read / maintain and for a smaller file size. Most banner ads like this should also not need jQuery, SASS, etc.

• Like 6