Search Community

opacity/visibility/autoalpha not being set once app is built

b0dg4n test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I believe this might be a bit weird, but here goes...

Got a react app boilerplated with create-react-app. Got a svg with a bunch on paths that I want animated using drawsvg.

Added `visibility: hidden` to all paths initially to avoid that initial flash.  Then ran `TweenLite.set('#paths path', {visibility:'visible'})` after componentDidMount to make the paths visible and then `tl.fromTo('#paths path', 2, {drawSVG: '0%'}, {drawSVG: '100%', ease: Power2.easeInOut})` to animate the paths.

Running this locally, works perfectly fine. However, as soon as I build and serve the app, this simply does not do anything. Inspecting the paths in the build version, you can see the `stroke-dashoffset` and `stroke-dasharray` changing, but visibility is not changed.

I tried then removing `visibility: hidden` from the css and replaced it with `opacity: 0` then tried setting opacity to 1 with TweenLite.set, as well as with `autoAlpha` - exactly the same result - paths are not visible.

so...another update - I create a brand new app with `create-react-app` and added the code from the codepen above - nothing else - same result: when running locally, all is fine, it renders and animates...once built, the svg remains hidden - visibility is not changed

Hey Bogdan,

Perhaps this is about Tree Shaking in the production mode of Create React App, when it ejects all the code. Please see this and try creating a reference for the plugin to se if that helps, scroll a little bit and you'll see the tree shaking part):

https://greensock.com/docs/NPMUsage

Also normally when I hide stuff at runtime and then show them using GSAP (since there is no other way actually :D ) I use autoAlpha, which is a combination of visibility plus opacity, so I start with this in the CSS:

.my-class {
  opacity: 0;
  visibility: hidden;
}

And then:

TweenLite.set(myElement, { autoAlpha: 1 });

Give tree shaking a try and let us know how it goes.

Happy Tweening!!

• Like 5