Search Community

Tracking / privacy / Cloudflare

greentoe test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

I've tried to find if anything like this has been asked on the forum before but wasn't able to find anything--I hope to benefit from everyone's expertise here!

I'm using a WordPress theme called Border by Pixelgrade for an art website, and it uses TweenMax and TimeLineLite for some of the theme's animation work.

When I (and visitors) visit the site, my browser's privacy add-on shows that there is one tracker active on the site, namely the GSAP libraries being loaded from CloudFlare. (See attachment.)

Is there anything I can do about that? (I have tried to figure out if I can self-host the two JavaScripts on the shared hosting platform that I use, but it appears beyond my technical abilities to do so.)

If there isn't something I can do about but to keep loading it from CloudFlare, how can I find out what kind of tracking GreenSock and/or CloudFlare employ? Is there an attempt to place cookies? What information is being collected about my website visitors? What happens with this information? I wasn't able to find any such privacy-related information on the GSAP website or forums.

As many of you I'm sure have seen, European data protection regulations prescribe an approach to data collection that is both minimalistic and transparent. I have to and want to abide by these regulations, and as such I'm trying to either disable all tracking, or fully inform my website visitors in cases where I can't.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Greentoe

PrivacyBadger - GSAP - CloudFlare.png

• Like 1

Hi @greentoe

GreenSock's JavaScript files do not track users, nor do they employ any type of cookies. Cloudfare hosts the most popular JavaScript libraries, on a free, public CDN. GreenSock has nothing to do with that, other than being popular.

Does Cloudfare use cookies? Yes. Are all cookies bad? No. Cloudfare uses cookies for security purposes and they cannot be disabled. Privacy Badger is complaining about the cfduid cookie.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170156-What-does-the-Cloudflare-cfduid-cookie-do-

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169506-Can-I-disable-Cloudflare-cookies-

If that's still issue for you, you can use your own self hosted GreenSock files instead of Cloudfare. I would ask whoever created your theme on how to do that. It shouldn't be too hard. I'm not familiar with Wordpress, so I really can't advise on that.

• Like 6

Hi @OSUblake,

Thanks so much for your response!

This is all very helpful for understanding better what happens with the JavaScript files and this cookie. This way I can inform the site's visitors properly about why that cookie is being used by CloudFlare.

Thank you! :)