Search Community

GWD, DV360, GMP and you

joe_midi test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey all,

I wanted to ask if anyone else was feeling intense pressure from outside your agency to switch from (I assume) either hand-coding or animate CC to using Google Web Designer.

It seems as though, with the move away from the DoubleClick brand into a more holistic platform in DV360 that they're trying to force us to use their WYSIWYG animator instead of being free to author banner animations however we see fit.

I've tried GWD in the beta about 4-5 years ago, and I hated it, I know its improved since then, but so have I and I feel so much more flexibility being able to write code from scratch.

• Like 1

Hm, I haven't heard anything like this, @joe_midi, but then again I don't work for an agency nor do I work on banners so I'm probably not the right person to respond. We certainly don't hear much about people adopting GWD. Not that we're against that by any means (GWD did add the ability to inject GSAP directly into projects, but it's not very well-integrated into the overall workflow - it's just an import from what I recall, unless they changed something). I've heard quite a few people echo similar sentiments as yours (they MUCH prefer to hand-code things with GSAP because it gives them a lot more control, it's faster, and they're not locked into a specific ecosystem), but again, I'm not trying to knock GWD personally. 

Is there some kind of movement afoot to get developers like you to drop GSAP in favor of GWD? If so, where's that coming from and what benefits are they touting? Is it mostly marketing efforts from the Google team or something? (For the record, Google has been super supportive of GSAP for many years - we definitely see them as allies). 

I've left the banne world over a year ago but I still get offered the odd banner contract here and there. I have noticed an increase on GWD as a requirement/tool to be used.

To me it's just like the days of Flash, where there was an abundance of designers/animators that would work on banners that had no interest in learning to code. They would get by just fine when it comes down to the everyday banner. The few developers who work in the field would work on the programatic/dynamic ones. And everyone will be happy.

Obviously, Doubleclick/Google will want to push their internal software, for whatever reasons they have.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up pursuing incorporating Animate CC with Doubleclick Studio Dynamic successfully, (including creating Publish templates, that allow any designer to output Dynamic), despite Studio support absolutely being on record that they can't (don't want to) provide support, if you are using Animate.

My coworker did a preliminary GWD Dynamic campaign with white glove support from Google, leading the way. The consensus was that GWD had several disadvantages. GWD is slow. GWD is no Animate. Using web fonts, rather than whatever font you want, varied the LTF of a lockup, substantially.

Over the years I have saved lots of DCRM HTML5 templates, that for the most part seem to have been removed from the database. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...