Search Community

How to improve shake effects (Turbulence kind of effect)?

LeoZ test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have created 3 types of shake effect but they are not  looking what I am trying to make them. I am trying to create basic, horizontal, and constant shake effect like shown in below website: (Mostly preferring to create a plane shake effect when its in cloud or in storm).

https://elrumordelaluz.github.io/csshake/ 

Can anyone help me to improve my animation effects?

Thanks in advance!

See the Pen wYedpg by LeoZoe (@LeoZoe) on CodePen

Yep, here's an effect using a uniform wiggle: 

See the Pen 5c20d3f0b2fc8ce3c6775bd34fb48a1b by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

You can easily tweak things like timing, number of wiggles, etc. 

Some other CustomWiggle demos that might be useful:

See the Pen wzkBYZ by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

See the Pen VbZqQx by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

If you don't want to use CustomWiggle, you could loop through some random values oscillating back and forth, but that's a bit more cumbersome. 

Is that what you're looking for? 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Jack,

Thanks for the examples, I have implemented the swarm wiggle to great success to create a "sound equalizer display" in a web banner.

The one question I have, is there a way to pause/start the swarm, because the element that has my "equalizer" is not visible at all times, so I'd like to pause when not visible.

Thanks.

Hey @ChrisGosling and welcome to the GreenSock forums. Thanks for supporting GreenSock by being a Club GreenSock member!

You can pause the animation by saving the result of the swarm function to a variable (since it returns a timeline) and then using control methods on that variable. For example:

var swarmAnim = swarm(".ball", 400, 150, 12, 15);
swarmAnim.pause();

// later
swarmAnim.play();

Also, we recommend upgrading to GSAP 3 which has a smaller file size, a sleeker API, and a bunch of new features :) Making the switch is easy!

• Like 1