Search Community

Have animations use less resources or pause when not on screen?

Jimmi Heiserman test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

This may be a better question for a general Dev question site, but you guys are so knowledgeable of this stuff I have to ask it here.

I recently created a bunch of self-contained svg animations for a client, where each svg contains it's own JavaScript and loads gsap engine and utilizes that for it's animation. A really nice trick really, kind of like an animated png; just drop it into your code as an <object>, not an img or such.

But they (any animation really) hog a lot of resources when many are on a page, or when they are large. Do you know of a way to pause the animations, or  auto display:none, when not on screen/below the fold? If there is a nice gsap feature that handles this, great. I imagine it's more of a JavaScript detection code to determine if it's actually on screen, and I don't know if that's possible from a self-contained svg file.

Anyway, shot in the dark how people handle resource management with gsap in situations like this. Thanks.

Hello @Jimmi Heiserman,

To detect when an element is visible in the viewport you can try and use the HTML5 Intersection Observer API:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Intersection_Observer_API

The Intersection Observer API provides a way to asynchronously observe changes in the intersection of a target element with an ancestor element or with a top-level document's viewport.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 5