Search Community

GSAP poor frame rate of Safari

Dream Awake test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

So this seems to be an ongoing issue and brought up in the past, I followed the suggestions such as force3D and using x,y rather that left,top - though it seems that wasn't the problem. After some investigation, I noticed that the performance differs depending what monitor I am viewing from. If I am using the retina display on my MacBook pro, I get a choppy frame rate. This doesn't occur in Chrome. Though external monitors are fine.

GSAP doesn't do any rendering, so it's probably not related to GSAP.

30 minutes ago, Dream Awake said:

I noticed that the performance differs depending what monitor I am viewing from. If I am using the retina display on my MacBook pro, I get a choppy frame rate. This doesn't occur in Chrome. Though external monitors are fine.

Does it perform better if you reduce the size of the window? A retina display has A LOT of pixels to render. That's like 4k or 5k, and requires good hardware to run at a good framerate. 

• Like 3

That wouldn't surprise me because Chrome and Safari don't work the same way. Safari doesn't seem to optimize a lot of stuff, as seen here. Safari is webkit, and Chrome is blink. Layout and paint can hurt performance, and Safari has to do a layout and paint for pretty much everything.

Also, try adding will-change: transform; to your CSS. Just be aware that it can cause other issues, particularly if scale is involved.

https://greensock.com/will-change

• Like 4