Search Community

Dark Mode: Tweening colors in Chrome scrollbars

MindGamer test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I just wrote a simple "dark mode" switch for an SPA I'm building and I use GSAP to tween/toggle the application colors from light to dark colors, and back.

It's working fine, but I'm having trouble tweening the colors of the scrollbars on the page.  I have two divs with overflow-y: scroll; and the initial scrollbar styling is handled in the CSS with the ::-webkit-scrollbar-track pseudo-selector.   Unfortunately the scrollbars remain a bright white color after everything else goes "dark" and it ruins the whole effect. 

I've tried

TweenMax.to('::-webkit-scrollbar-track',1,{backgroundColor: "#000000"});

But that doesn't seem to work.

And I've tried 

TweenMax.to('body',1,{scrollbarTrackColor: "#000000"});

...and no dice. 

Is there any way to use GSAP to tween the scrollbar colors along with the rest of the page elements I'm adjusting?

Unfortunately, [as far as I know] pseudo elements aren't accessible in the DOM, so GSAP can't get to them. The browser literally doesn't offer any hooks. The only way around this that I've seen is to use something like CSSRulePlugin to animate the CSS rules themselves. See https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/CSSRulePlugin

Another option is to use CSS variables which GSAP can handle as well. See https://greensock.com/css-variables

• Like 3