Search Community

SplitText - Identifying certain characters

pmascis test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

I want to do some styling to some headings.

Specificially change the last character (which will be a character like . ? ! etc) to a different colour.

I have used splitText to break apart every character and have used css to target the last child.

However, since these are headings and they will have some weight with SEO, I am concerned with stripping every letter apart and into divs etc.

I was wondering if there is some way to tell splitText to only disassemble the last character, or perhaps even target certain characters so I can achieve the style that I want without breaking everything up.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

SplitText doesn't have anything to grab the last character or last word, but the wordDelimiter will allow you to specify where a word should be split. 

So if you want to throw a special character into your h1 you could do something like

<h1>Latest News*!</h1>
<h1>Questions*?</h1>

and then

var tl = new TimelineLite, 
    mySplitText = new SplitText("h1", {type:"words", wordDelimiter:"*"});

that will result with 2 divs inside each h1 which may be an SEO NO NO. I also doubt you want to inject characters into your h1, but that's the easiest way I could think of by leveraging what SplitText can do and not writing any custom js.

See the Pen dgyKXG by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

It's probably going to be better to write your own function that searches each heading for those characters and wraps them in spans.

• Like 4