Search Community

Animation Lag/Choppiness on Sierra/HighSierra running Chrome

Jon Pierce test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I've got a Pen that animates & functions great on Firefox & Safari across the board.  It does great on Chrome on Mac OS 10.11 and Windows 10.  But it falls apart (laggy animation, flickering of individual rays and/or rectangular segments of the animation, and even the Codepen interface itself starts to lag) on the exact same version of Chrome (Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)) on Mac OS 10.12 and 10.13.   Any ideas?

See the Pen mGoarK by Snarfhead (@Snarfhead) on CodePen

It's really bad on Windows 10 for me. It's some kind of graphics/GPU issue. You should probably file a bug. 

I got it working better by rotating the SVG instead of the path, and adding will-change to the CSS, but I still see artifacts on my computer depending on the number rays. 59 and 60 always have rendering issues on my computer.

See the Pen dqrEdE by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 6

Thanks for that change, that is much smoother on the troublesome Mac OS'es as well.  Thanks for the explanation of the change as well.

I looked at the FAQ's to file a bug and they seem to just point to this forum.  Is there any other tips you can give me to file it as a bug?

4 minutes ago, Jon Pierce said:

I looked at the FAQ's to file a bug and they seem to just point to this forum.  Is there any other tips you can give me to file it as a bug?

Oh, I meant to file a bug for Chrome. 

https://crbug.com/wizard

I didn't check, but there might already be an open issue for it. I've been noticing weird SVG rendering glitches on Chrome for the past year.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

• Like 3