Search Community

isActive() problems with mouseenter

ainsley_clark test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

I am trying to implement a logo animation turning into a coding symbol with timelinemax.

When the user moves into the logo, a few tweens happen:

var logotl = new TimelineMax(); 
	logotl
		.to("#logo", 0.8, {rotation: -90, ease:Power2.easeOut, yoyoEase:Power2.easeOut})
		.to("#rest", 0.5, {left: 100}, "-=0.8")
		.to("#i", 0.5, {rotation: -335, left: 50, scaleX: 1.4, scaleY: 3, color: "#F15A29", top: 10}, "-=0.8")
		.to("#n", 0.5, {scale: 2.3, left: 100, rotation: 100, }, "-=0.8")

When the user moves out of the logo area, a reverse function is called, reversing the animation:

$('.test').mouseenter(function() {  
	logotl.play();
})

$('.test').mouseleave(function() { 
	//MouseOut Animation
	if (!logotl.isActive()) {
      	//Problem Here!
		logotl.reverse();
	} 	
})

I have used the isActive function to find out if the animation is still playing or not because I was experiencing stuttering when the user was going back and forth over the animation.

My problem is now: Sometimes the reverse animation isn't played, which I can only assume is due to the isActive returning false when the user isn't over the logo (I hope that makes sense).

Many thanks in advance.

The easy solution here is to play/reverse on hover.

var logotl = new TimelineMax({paused:true, reversed:true});

$('#box').hover(function() {  
    logotl.reversed() ? logotl.play() : logotl.reverse();
})

If you could provide a demo with your questions, it would help in getting you the best answers. More info:

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2

Thanks very much for your reply PointC.

I have tried to implement hover but still getting lots of stuttering,

I have included the codepen below, its not polished yet but you will get the gist.

If I use the isActive() function, theres no stuttering, but now, if you mouseover the .test class and mouseout before the animation has finished, the animation wont reverse.

See the Pen XPGgrG by ainsleyclark (@ainsleyclark) on CodePen

Thanks again.

Thanks once again for your reply.

With this pen - if you catch it at the right point (between the outside of the hover area and the inside) at the top, where the A is, it goes back and forth very quickly and isn't smooth. It may take a couple of goes to see it!

Thanks for the help :).

Hi Mikel & PointC,

Thanks once again for your replies.

@mikel - I didn't know that its more fluid to use SVGs for animation than text, it looks a lot cleaner with your pen; I will have to use them instead.

@PointC - I have cleared up the remaining closing div tags and used your code in the link below,.

The problem is localised to the logo (even without the text) I have uploaded a youtube video to explain what I mean.

logoStuttering Youtube Link

Thanks all :)

• Like 1

Hi @ainsley_clark

Your issue has nothing to do with GSAP. How are mouse events detected? The mouse has to be over the bounding box of the element.

Your test element is listening for the events, and it doesn't have a height, which is part of the problem. If the mouse enters or leaves a child element, that event will bubble up to the test element listener. When one of the child elements rotate, the mouse might be inside the bounding box, but as it rotates more, the mouse might end up outside the box, triggering a mouse leave event.

This should help you see the problem. I can position the mouse in such a way that it will infinitely play back and forth.

See the Pen pOBeqj by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

To fix it, it might help if you give your test element a height, and set pointer-events: none; in your CSS for the children of the test element.

BTW, you're not supposed to nest elements inside a heading element i.e. your h1.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1