Search Community

Positioning elements along a bezier curve?

green_machine test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I'm creating an animated vine with the drawSVG plugin, with dynamically created leaves. The stem is a vertical bezier curve (SVG path) that I'm creating using a few random numbers. I'm then using a loop to create a bunch of leaf elements, which I then am trying to place along the curved path. The 'y' position isn't a problem, but I'm not quite sure what a good solution is for the 'x' position of the leaves to ensure that they're placed along the vine's stem. 

Looking at the Bezier plugin, I was wondering if there's a way to use the same path data I've created for the stem and use it as a motion path for the leaves, only instead of animating their position along the path, simply place them at a random position along it. I haven't used the Bezier plugin before, so I wasn't sure how doable that is, if at all. Anybody know if this is an easy undertaking, or should I consider a different approach?

-darin

See the Pen ac328b607b6775c329e4313bad317607 by dsenneff (@dsenneff) on CodePen

This thread is full of good info about plotting along a Bezier curve. Maybe it can help.

It's not exactly what you need since you don't want to animate the position, but this thread also had some neat Bezier curve ideas in it.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 4

Thanks, @PointC! Very helpful.

I have a solution working currently using Jack's ChoppedEase from the second link you posted.

I essentially created a separate timeline for the leaves. Then in my loop where I create each leaf element, I add a .01s tween to that timeline for each leaf along the same motion path used by the vine, with the ChoppedEase value randomized. That essentially works as a "set" method to place the leaves perfectly along the path at random intervals.

Once I play with it a bit more and know it's all working, I'll add a new CodePen link to this thread in case it helps somebody in the future. 

-darin

• Like 2

One relatively easy way would be to create a generic object with x/y properties (coordinates) and tween that along the bezier path, but pause that tween and just set its progress() value and see whatever the corresponding x/y values are on that generic object at that point. 

Here's an edited version of your codepen that shows you the concept, and I made the leaves wait to animate until the vine reaches the position accordingly: 

Does that help? 

• Like 4

Reminds me of something I did several years ago, although I didn't use Beziers for the stems because I was going for a rougher look.

See the Pen gpGEye by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

If you're interested, here's a tutorial showing how to grow vines around a lattice. The site has been redesigned since I last saw it, and some of the demos appear to missing. Such a shame because the last demo was really cool.

https://www.maissan.net/articles/simulating-vines

• Like 5

On 9/5/2018 at 5:37 AM, GreenSock said:

One relatively easy way would be to create a generic object with x/y properties (coordinates) and tween that along the bezier path, but pause that tween and just set its progress() value and see whatever the corresponding x/y values are on that generic object at that point. 

Here's an edited version of your codepen that shows you the concept, and I made the leaves wait to animate until the vine reaches the position accordingly: 

Does that help? 

I get an error when opening this pen in FireFox: 'TypeError: d is null' pointing a the line 24114 of TweenMax .min.js

:(

32 minutes ago, Dipscom said:

I get an error when opening this pen in FireFox: 'TypeError: d is null' pointing a the line 24114 of TweenMax .min.js

Good catch! That's just because the SVG element wasn't added to the DOM before there were transform-related values set, so it's just a matter of flip-flopping these lines:

//OLD: 
TweenMax.set(leaf, {attr:{"d": leafPath}, transformOrigin: "left center"});
container.appendChild(leaf);

//NEW:

Firefox throws errors when you try to grab certain values on an SVG element that's not visible or in the DOM (like getBBox()). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dipscom said:

Pointing out the error in a minified file does not help. Try using a regular file and expanding the error. Human readable code!

https://unpkg.com/gsap@2.0.2/umd/TweenMax.js

GSAP can't do it's hack to set the transform origin because the leaf isn't in the DOM.

// BAD
function createLeaf(container) {
  let leaf = document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg', 'path');
  return leaf;
}

// GOOD
function createLeaf(container) {
  let leaf = document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg', 'path');
  return leaf;
}

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OSUblake said:

Pointing out the error in a minified file does not help. Try using a regular file and expanding the error. Human readable code!

Harsh!

I may have been sloppy. Fine. But I am sleep deprived.

It wasn't me who tried to reach for an element before it was in the DOM. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I'm attempted to convert the Vine with random leaves codepen to GSAP 3.

My guess is there is something about the conversion from the BezierPlugin to the MotionPathPlugin that I don't understand.

See the Pen 121dd702a2983bc308a573bca6b072e4 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I tried replacing bezier with MotionPath and updating the TweenMax/gsap and TimelineMax/gsap syntax:

See the Pen rNZBegV?editors=1111 by fcdobbs (@fcdobbs) on CodePen

Any help in understanding the difference between bezier and MotionPath and migrating this pen to GSAP 3 would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Hello @fcdobbs

Instead of values in your motionPath object, just use path and you seem to be good to go.

// motionPath = gsap.to(p, {duration: 1, motionPath:{type:"cubic", values:stem.motionPath}, paused:true});

motionPath = gsap.to(p, {duration: 1, motionPath:{type:"cubic", path:stem.motionPath}, paused:true});

https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/MotionPathPlugin

See the Pen vYzBJxq by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 1

Super.  Thanks!

Changing the BezierPlugin parameter 'value', to the motionPath parameter 'path' got the pen drawing.

Any idea how to set it to run the getRandomInRange function on child tweens on repeat?

I tried adding repeatRefresh: true, but it draws the same stem and same leaves on repeat:

//vineTL = gsap.timeline({paused: true, delay: 1, repeat: -1, repeatDelay: 3, yoyo:true});
    vineTL = gsap.timeline({paused: true, delay: 1, repeat: -1, repeatDelay: 3, yoyo:true, repeatRefresh: true});

Thanks again.

Thanks.  I'll replace the getRandomInRange function in this pen with random().

Any idea why repeatRefresh doesn't cause the getRandomInRange function to run again on repeat for the leaf parameters that are set with this function in the vineTL?

It looks like setting the stem values aren't part of the timeline that repeats.  I expected all of the functions in the vineTL to run again on repeat.

The way I see it, the positioning of the leaves is being done once in a loop for each of the leaves in a gsap.set() call, which is totally independent of the timeline, based on a random progress variable, that also only gets populated/overridden once for each of the leaves when things are being set up. That progress variable will never again change, once all of the leaves are processed in the loop. Also will the leaves never be .set() to a different position than they were before, so a repeatRefresh will do nothing much here, I suppose.

Since the position of the tween for each leaf on the timeline would then of course change (because it is dependent on the progress variable's value), I think repeatRefresh is not the way to go here anyway. Although I might as well be wrong with that, I think you might have to clear/invalidate the timeline every other repetition, do what is neccessary to randomly reposition the leaves (visually), and then re-create the timeline's tweens, with the tween for each leaf positioned on the timeline with respect to the new random value you assign for it.

Since that example is rather complex and it is kind of hard to see through all the logic from outside, especially with an otherwise cluttered mind, all that is nothing I can do for you though. Maybe I'm even totally wrong and somebody else can offer a better viewing angle on this.

Thanks.  It makes sense to me that the position values are set, and the scales are set to zero once on the global timeline.

I'm confused as to why the functions that are included in the tweens that make up the vineTL aren't executed on repeat.

I would expect the position to be set on the first iteration, and the tweens to have different "to" values for scaleX, scaleY, and rotation on repeats with repeatRefresh set to "true".

vineTL.to(leaf, {duration:2,
      //make some leaves point left, some right (randomly)
      scaleX: (Math.random() < 0.5 ? getRandomInRange(1, 1.5, 2) : getRandomInRange(-1, -1.5, 2)),
      scaleY: getRandomInRange(1, 1.5, 2),
      rotation: getRandomInRange(-20, 20, 0),
      ease: Circ.easeOut},
    //don't start it until the vine gets to this point
    duration * progress);

I'm not sure what breaks the parent-child relationship between the vineTL timeline and all of the "to" tweens on the leaf objects that are on the vineTL timeline.

I'm also wondering if transformOrigin affects the position of the d attribute in the createLeaf function:

gsap.set(leaf, {attr:{"d": leafPath}, transformOrigin: "left center"});

The transformOrigin is set a second time for each leaf at 0 on the global timeline, so it's unclear to me if the first transformOrigin is required for the d attribute, or if it's redundant:

gsap.set(leaf, {x:p.x + svgWidth/2, y:p.y - leaf.getBBox().height / 2, scaleX: 0, scaleY: 0, rotation: getRandomInRange(-15, 15, 0), transformOrigin:"0% 50%"});

There are several features of this pen that could be useful to me.

Thanks again.

It's because NONE of these are functions: 

// regular values
scaleX: (Math.random() < 0.5 ? getRandomInRange(1, 1.5, 2) : getRandomInRange(-1, -1.5, 2)), 
scaleY: getRandomInRange(1, 1.5, 2), 
rotation: getRandomInRange(-20, 20, 0), 

You're just passing in the returned value of those function invocations.

If you want things to get refreshed, you've gotta use function-based values like: 

//function-based values
scaleX: () => (Math.random() < 0.5 ? getRandomInRange(1, 1.5, 2) : getRandomInRange(-1, -1.5, 2)), 
scaleY: () => getRandomInRange(1, 1.5, 2), 
rotation: () => getRandomInRange(-20, 20, 0), 

6 hours ago, fcdobbs said:

I'm also wondering if transformOrigin affects the position of the d attribute in the createLeaf function:

gsap.set(leaf, {attr:{"d": leafPath}, transformOrigin: "left center"});

No, transformOrigin has absolutely nothing to do with the "d" attribute. It solely affects transforms. 

Does that clear things up? 

• Like 2

Thanks.

There's still something I don't understand about repeatRefresh.

I updated the syntax to the function syntax above, but scaleX, scaleY, rotation are not refreshing on repeat of the vineTL timeline.

I also removed the redundant set transformOrigin:

See the Pen ZEMEJzp by fcdobbs (@fcdobbs) on CodePen

Is there something else about the way the vineTL timeline is built that makes repeat work, but not repeatRefresh?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry about the confusion there. You actually hit an edge case that exposed a bug - if you have a repeating timeline with yoyo: true and you also have a repeatDelay, it didn't do the repeatRefresh. That should be fixed in the next release which you can preview at https://assets.codepen.io/16327/gsap-latest-beta.min.js

(you probably need to clear your cache)

Better? 

• Like 1

It works!  Thanks.

I have some related questions about performance with repeatRefresh.

My functions calculating the tween properties will be longer than in this example.

Is there any reason making the calculations outside of the tween, feeding them into an array, and having the tween pick a value either randomly or by remainder of the repeat iteration would be less resource intensive than repeatRefresh with functions?

Would the answer depend solely on how many times the property values are calculated, so that any unused values populating the array when the animation is terminated represent wasted resources?

Also, if I find six variations is sufficient, would it be less resource intensive to generate a timeline with all six variations and repeat the 6x longer timeline?

Thanks again.  This example has several features I can use.

2 hours ago, fcdobbs said:

Is there any reason making the calculations outside of the tween, feeding them into an array, and having the tween pick a value either randomly or by remainder of the repeat iteration would be less resource intensive than repeatRefresh with functions?

Would the answer depend solely on how many times the property values are calculated, so that any unused values populating the array when the animation is terminated represent wasted resources?

I read that a few times and I'm still pretty lost, sorry.  Maybe it'd help if you provided basic pseudo code. Minimal demos are always best of course. 

2 hours ago, fcdobbs said:

Also, if I find six variations is sufficient, would it be less resource intensive to generate a timeline with all six variations and repeat the 6x longer timeline?

I doubt you'd ever notice any real-world performance difference whatsoever. The JS in cases like this accounts for a tiny fraction of the overall load on the CPU. In my experience, graphics rendering is often well over 90% of the load (often over 99%). 

When in doubt, just test. If I were in your shoes and I was really curious, I'd do it both ways and then measure. But I cannot think of any reason inside GSAP that'd cause one to be significantly faster than the other.