Search Community

Question on if something is doable with GS.

mechwd test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am doing a bit of research on how to do something in a webpage.  I have a progress bar with a curve that I need to animate in steps. In short, a user is going to be answering a bunch of questions and as they answer the bar will animate a little to it's next step along the path and continue on until the end.

Is this possible with GreenSock and if so, what specifically in GS product line do you think I would need to utilize?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 10.33.02 AM.png

Hi @mechwd :)

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that would be easy to do with GSAP. You'd have most everything you need by loading TweenMax. The other plugin that would make it super easy to animate that marker along the path would be the MorphSVG plugin. It has the MorphSVGPlugin.pathDataToBezier() method which feeds into the Bezier Plugin.  (I'm assuming that progress bar path is a SVG) More info:

https://greensock.com/BezierPlugin-JS

https://greensock.com/morphsvg-update

This is a good pen to view for info about what's all included.

See the Pen djXzyR by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 4

You could make it work with the core tools. For the motion path you'd create your own x/y coordinates to feed into the Bezier plugin. For the DrawSVG part you could get the path length and animate the strokeDashoffset.

Club plugins just make your life easier and deal with browser inconsistencies, but yeah you can make it happen with the free tools too.

Happy tweening.

:)

3 minutes ago, mechwd said:

Is there an option for a single pay for the plugins?

No, sorry. But I'm pretty confident you'll find it's well worth the $ to join the club. If not, we'll gladly issue a refund. Typically customers report that it pays for itself in literally one or maybe two projects. 

Like @PointC said, you technically could achieve those effects without any of the bonus plugins but beware that there are quite a few odd browser bugs that you may run into (which our plugins work around of course). There are probably about 6 browser quirks that DrawSVGPlugin smooths over alone. Then again, maybe your specific scenario won't trigger any of those issues - I don't mean to scare you away from trying it the "raw" way at all. I'm just making sure you understand some of the reasons why people see the value in joining the Club and not worrying about those issues. That's one fo the key things that we aim to provide with GSAP - reliability. Stuff "just works". But seriously, no pressure at all. We're honored to have you using the tools regardless of whether or not you join Club GreenSock

Happy tweening!

• Like 2

Does the permanent license not afford unlimited use for $750, or am I not understanding it correctly.

As for the paying, it's not really up to me so technically I don't care. I'm just trying to get all the information to give to my client. I just don't know yet if the client has an appetite for paying for the plugins use or wants me to change the design to something I can do with pure CSS. Just depends on how much they want that curve. lol

I would love to be able to use the plugins I need, but its not up to me. I love the features of it though :)

Yep, the permanent license covers an unlimited number of sites/apps/games/products that are created by you (the license owner). Absolutely!

Our entire licensing model (which you or they can read about at http://greensock.com/why-license/) is based on the honor system and a simple number-of-developers pricing structure. We don’t require that you “register" each person or project, nor do we inject “phone home” scripts that report usage or suddenly cause things to stop working if your license expires. We extend respect to our users and trust that it'll be reciprocated. Thus far, it has worked well. We’ve been doing this for a decade now with no plans to stop.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. Good luck with the project!

• Like 2