Search Community

Migration from Flash to HTML5

Cyska_Sawyer test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

With the eventual phasing out of Flash on Chrome and Firefox coming sooner rather than later, I've realized that I need to prioritize the migration of my site's Flash files to HTML5. My partner and I made use of the alpha channel present in SWF files, which allowed us to apply customized backgrounds behind FLVs (allowing our users to enjoy a great interactive experience in our SWFs). We'd like to continue using Greensock products to allow us to more easily present these interactive elements to our users (as we currently use the Actionscript library of GSAP to achieve our goals). My main question at this point is whether there's a GSAP or related Greensock product that will allow us to achieve background transparency when working to migrate our site's more interactive elements from Flash to HTML5. The transparency/alpha channel is a hard requirement for our site needs in terms of what to migrate to. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer on this question.

Welcome to the forums, @Cyska_Sawyer

Are you looking for a way to have video with an alpha channel embedded on an HTML5 page? GSAP is just an animation framework (as you probably know), so it has nothing do to with video alpha channels. I'm not terribly familiar with the options out there for that, but I kinda doubt there's a good cross-browser (universally compatible) video format like that, but perhaps someone else can chime in with suggestions. I mean, a PNG sequence can definitely have an alpha channel, but that seems like overkill especially kb-wise. You may be able to leverage canvas for that, but I'm not sure it's practical. There are masks in SVG, but not really video. I wish I had a silver bullet for ya - I remember the days of using FLVs with alpha channels to do some pretty cool stuff in Flash. 

But rest assured that almost everything else can be done in HTML5. I know it's painful to make the jump from Flash to HTML5 initially, but stick with it and I think you'll end up loving [most of] it. :)