Search Community

'latest' Tweenmax points to a 3 year old GSAP CDN

Jimmi Heiserman test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello again team,

I noticed that the URL https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/latest/TweenMax.min.js points to VERSION: 1.18.0, DATE: 2015-09-05, a three-year-old version. I don't know enough about CDN's and whether or not the latest folder in that url is dynamic or static. I noticed this when I type 'TweenMax' into JS Pen Settings in codepen. It autocomplete/suggests the 'latest' url, not 2.0.1 or other. Does this need to be fixed? something I wanted to bring to your attention if it is indeed pulling the wrong JS file.

Maybe a dynamic 'latest' was bad practice to auto-pull the newest, potentially breaking features the devs didn't anticipate, and you stopped promoting that URL? If this is the case, maybe get codepen.io to stop pointing to that 'latest' as their default suggestion? Should devs use 'latest' in other libraries? (I don't know what the standard practice for that was/is).

tweenmax.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, that's a known issue. :( 

From what I understand, Jack has asked to have "Latest" actually be the latest, but it's not happening for some reason. On CodePen you can use the pull-down and you'll get the actual latest. (2.0.1)

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 1

We begged, we pleaded, we pressured...but CDNJS flat-out refused to support "/latest/" (despite telling us early on that it was fine to do). Super frustrating, I know. 

I don't think codepen suggests /latest/ anymore unless maybe it's cached from one of your old selections. I've noticed that they keep those around locally, so if you had linked to a particular version a while back, they assume maybe you want to use that again. Perhaps clear your cache and actively select the newer version next time, and hopefully codepen will update its auto-suggestions for you. We notified codepen a while back about not suggesting /latest/ and I believe they were very accommodating. They usually are. 

Sorry about any hassles. I wish we could control that stuff but it's out of our hands.

• Like 1