Search Community

onUpdate Event skipped for some time

anotheruser test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I am using GSAP in a react application, I have a timeline in my redux store and the timeline's onupdate listener in a component. I am using the onupdate to move a playhead thumb just like a Player. Every time the onupdate is called i get the value from the timeline._time and change the value for the thumb, the problem is when huge tween is happening (like for 200 items) the onupdate calls are not frequent , but the tween runs very smoothly , is there anyway i can get smoother progress values?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this. 

You're saying that the animations are updating regularly because you see them running smoothly but the onUpdates are firing much slower or not at all?

It would be great if you can post a very simple demo that clearly illustrates this happening so that we can see what is happening.

Under extreme stress it is understandable that requestAnimationFrame (the heartbeat of GSAP) may not fire at a consistent 60fps, and you would see animations with some hiccups and some onUpdates not firing at consistent intervals. Again I'm not aware of any reason for an onUpdate callback not firing on each tick of the engine (when property changes get applied).

Kind of curious why you would be using timeline._time (which is a private property for internal use) and not timeline.time() (public getter / setter).

• Like 3