Search Community

ScrollToPlugin IE/Edge Interrupt issue

HHCC IT Department test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

I'm using ScrollToPlugin to animate a scrolling "Important Safety Information" copy for pharmaceutical banners over the course of 160 seconds.  The text is the content of a div that is being scrolled

I'm finding that IE / Edge do not want interrupt the tween and give the user control to scroll the copy.

• The Up and Down arrow buttons on the scroll bar will never interrupt ScrollToPlugin.
  • The mouse wheel / touch pad take multiple attempts to scroll (especially on smaller banner sizes) before the interrupt kicks in.
  • On smaller banner sizes like 728x90, the bar to grab on the scrollbar to drag doesn't appear as the up and down arrow buttons  cover the full track in IE.  Since they don't work it is is near impossible to interrupt the scrolling
  • Dragging the bar on the track always interrupts the scroll as intended.
  • Attempting to scroll down, then up, then down seems to trigger the interrupt in IE/Edge.

Anyone have an experience with this and know make sure ScrollToPlugin is interrupted if there is any user interaction with the copy on the first interaction?

Thanks

Hello @HHCC IT Department and welcome to the GreenSock forum!

• In your example do you have autoKill set to false?

If so try switching it to autoKill: true since by default the ScrollToPlugin has autoKill set to true, so any outside interaction will autoKill the scroll like you are expecting.

Please see the ScollToPlugin Docs: https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/ScrollToPlugin

If your still having an issue please create a codepen demo example so we can test your code live and in action to better help you.

:)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PointC said:

Hi @HHCC IT Department :)

It's a little tough to troubleshoot without a demo, but I wonder if you might need to adjust the autoKillThreshold. Your question reminded me of this similar thread which may help.

Happy tweening.

Thank you, what was it.

I found that setting the autoKillThreashold to 3 worked for the Mouse Wheel and TouchPad, but not for clicking on the arrow buttons.  How every, a threshold of 1 made the arrow buttons on the scrollbar work.

So far so good. But I'm going to have to double check all the other browsers and check Mac OS to make sure not other issues popped up from adjusting the autoKillThreashold.

Thanks,

Chris