Search Community

Rebuilding the very same timeline causes it to play differently

Mia+Lily test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi GSAP people!

I'm working on a code that lets users build and customize animations. To get a consistent behavior, I'm keeping a reference to the animation timeline, `kill`ing it every time user changes some params and then rebuilding it again. But I noticed that even with the same inputs, the rebuilt animation doesn't look the same.

After narrowing it down to the smallest sample possible, it seems that there's something wrong with the timing. Upon first page load, everything looks as intended. But after I rebuild the timeline, it seems like its time got compressed somehow. It still plays the defined tweens, but it doesn't respect the timing.

Interestingly, rebuilding the timeline multiple times doesn't accumulate the time twisting.

I tried inspecting the timeline object, but haven't found anything supicious. The durations and start times look correct. Even when using a progress bar (in my project) to visualize the playback, it indeed plays linearly, but the actual tweens do not.

Everything should be clear from the attached pen.

Thanks in advance!

See the Pen yEEQzZ by anon (@anon) on CodePen