Search Community

ThrowProps, Can you set max velocity?

ecsancho test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi  I'm wondering if there's a way to set a max velocity? I'm using a proxy div and having my elements respond the proxy.x positions the problem is with a slight flick sends my elements flying off screen because of the start velocity is a large number so I think restraining the max velocity will solve this.

Here's my setup

let proxy = $("<div>");
Draggable.create(proxy, {
  trigger: box,
  throwProps:true,
  onThrowUpdate:function(){
  	//code for elements.x = this.x
  },
  snap:function(endValue) { 
                return Math.round(endValue / 80) * 80;
            }
});

No there is no setting to set maximum velocity. You can instead set  max and min duration and resistance. Check throwProps under 'Config object properties' https://greensock.com/docs/Utilities/Draggable

What you are doing might be done without Draggable, you can use ThrowPropsPlugin directly to track velocity. And use Physics2DPlugin.

https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/ThrowPropsPlugin

https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/Physics2DPlugin

• Like 3

Yep, @Sahil is exactly right - you probably only need ThrowPropsPlugin because it can track the velocity of any property of any object, and you can just do a regular throwProps tween whenever you want. You'd define an "end" value inside the throwProps object to do your custom snapping logic. 

ThrowPropsPlugin.track(object, "x"); //I'm not quite sure what you're tracking

TweenMax.to(yourOtherObject, 1, {
  throwProps:{
    x:{
      velocity:ThrowPropsPlugin.getVelocity(object, "x"),
      end: function(endValue) { 
            return Math.round(endValue / 80) * 80;
        }
      }
   }
});

That assumes you want a particular duration (1 second in this case), but you can use ThrowPropsPlugin.to() if you want that duration to be automatically calculated based on the velocity. 

I doubt you even need Physics2DPlugin. 

• Like 3

I need to track velocity because I want to do a certain animation when velocity hits certain ranges, I just didn't include the code in my sample. I believe this might work as long the initial velocity is not a large number. I'll give it try. Thanks for the responses!

• Like 2