Search Community

Delay on animation start when updating timeline

aztekgold test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am pretty new to GSAP and have been trying to make a menu animation for my project.

I am triggering the timeline on click and updating the timeline on browser resize

When I click the button to show the menu after a resize there is a considerable delay

I'm sure it is just me not implementing the timeline correctly and wondered if anyone could offer some insight

Thanks

See the Pen jKGVYb by anon (@anon) on CodePen

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Thanks for the demo. It is very helpful.

The problem is that each time you call setSlides() you are adding a new set of tweens (via staggerFrom) to the end of the timeline, thus increasing the amount of animations in the timeline and the duration.

Open the demo below in a new browser window (edit on codepen), open the console and resize the window (horizontally) to see the console logs

See the Pen ERwNrQ?editors=0011 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

A solution here is to clear() the timeline BEFORE adding the new tweens.

tl.progress(0).clear();
    tl.staggerFrom($('.screen-slides div'), .5, {x: '-100%' }, 0.1)

Resize the demo below horizontally and you will see that the duration does not change.

*note: If you resize vertically the duration will change because the vertical height determines how many divs you append which affects how many staggered animations are inserted.

See the Pen JZrbzZ?editors=0011 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 5

Amazing! Thank you so much 

that really help me to understand it.

If I had multiple items on the timeline how would I just update that part on the resize

e.g 

tl.staggerTo('.screen-slides div', .35, {}, 0.1)

.from('.nav', .5, {x: -10px, opacity: 0,  }

.... transition burger icon

how would I just update the stagger?

Thanks

In that case I would recommend re-building your entire timeline.

It gets too complicated to remove a set of staggered tweens, create a new set, insert them into the timeline and then adjust when the other animations (like ".nav") should start.

I would create another function called "build new timeline" and call it whenever you need a new timeline. 

This is a comprehensive article (with videos) explaining how to use functions to build timelines and the many advantages: https://css-tricks.com/writing-smarter-animation-code/

• Like 4