Search Community

timeline events following a function call

francis789 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm trying to integrate calls to functions into a timeline.

Thanks to  @Carl   I got how to make a call that follows preceding tweens.

(see discussion here: https://greensock.com/forums/topic/18464-multiple-timeline-event-calls-but-only-one-action ). 

The conclusion was that you need to pass this as a parameter, for example:

var tl = new TimelineLite()

tl.call(myFunction, [])
tl.call(myFunction, [], this, "+=1")
tl.call(myFunction, [], this, "+=1")

Now I am putting more tween calls behind a function call.

I find the timeline doesn't wait for the function call to end before starting with the next call.

In the codepen, the last lines of the javascript are as follows:

tl.call(drawLineErase,  [pencil="#pencil", path="#squigglyPath", pencilStartPoint={x:9, y:115}, reverse=true, duration=4], this, "+=2");
 tl.to("#pencil",1,{y: "-=100", opacity:0}, "+=4") ;  

I had to add the "+=4" for the second line to follow the first one.

Now that was easy, as I had a duration parameter to set the duration of the timeline inside the function.

But that may not always be the case. How can I ensure that the main timeline picks up where the local timeline in the function ends? Is there some way of synchronizing the two?

See the Pen rKMzXg by fvila (@fvila) on CodePen

Yup, Craig is exactly right. The techniques illustrated in that article will definitely help with this.

When you call a function from a timeline its important to note that the timeline has no idea what is happening in that external function call. The function it calls could be injecting DOM nodes into the page, popping up alert()s, opening a modal, submitting data, retrieving data, or creating 5 hours worth of tweens. The timeline only tells the function to run and continues playing as it was. In some cases you may want to pause the timeline after a call() and then use the function to tell the timeline to play() again when its done "doing its stuff".

Again, in your case as Craig pointed out, you can actually put the animations that your function creates into the timeline.

I provided the demo below in a similar discussion. Note that there are functions that create animations and those animations are returned to (placed into) the timeline via add(). The article referenced above explains this in great detail.

See the Pen pVQJEK by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 5

Thank you guys for your patience and reactivity!

Also the function call is  more elegant

tl.add(drawLineErase(
    pencil="#pencil",
    path="#squigglyPath",
    pencilStartPoint={x:9, y:115},
    reverse=true).duration(1));

rather than

tl.call(drawLineErase,  
        [pencil="#pencil", 
         path="#squigglyPath", 
         pencilStartPoint={x:9, y:115}, 
         reverse=false,