Search Community

Issue with TimeLine Progress

senza12 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for the lovely community and the support given. I have spend many hours going over older topics to figure things out in the past and its been a massive help.

I am working on a new project where I want to trigger animations based on a scroll position. I know this has been done many times before and after doing some research I decided that I do not want to use a plugin (like Scrollmagic for example) for performance reasons. On one of the posts here I found out that there is a newish API within JavaScript that can handle my needs called IntersectionObserver, I am using a library to make sure that I have a wide browser support for this technology (https://github.com/russellgoldenberg/scrollama). 

If you would look at my Codepen, you will notice that I am trying to trigger an animation on the second element based on the scroll position. I am using .progress(); to do so, where I call in a value between 0-1 based on the scroll position (taken from the Scrollama library). When you scroll down, you will notice that the box on the left moves position (as intended). The problem I am having though, is when you scroll up it does not move back. I am assuming that when using the .progress(); function, the timeline will be animated to whatever position is being fed into this? Unfortunately I can not get this to work. I have been searching on the internet for hours now and I just can't seem to find the issue.

Hopefully this explains my problem clear enough, thank you in advance for any help!

See the Pen LrRwYM by senza12 (@senza12) on CodePen