Search Community

paid,jobs,Classifieds,hire ???

jonForum test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

hey guy can you make a paid (jobs,Classifieds,hire... ?) section plz ?

some similar example

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/forum/22-jobs-hiring-and-freelance/

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/classifieds-offers.78/

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/classifieds-requests.79/

why,... i will maybe need help to make some complexe hack and not have time study all your api, but..

You have a lot of talented people, I think it would be a 'plus' to create a sections for commercial jobs .

I do not say to take example here, but it will be nice to be able to spend cash for helping dev som complex scripting with your api.

thank

Idee is not about make your more money but about unleashing your software

What do you think about this guys ?

I'm curious what others think of this idea. I'm not closed to it, but I'd like to know if there's strong demand for something like this. 

Here are some ideas for what we could name it: 

• Paid Work
  • Jobs & Freelance

I wouldn't think we'd need a separate forum for each side (those with jobs to offer and those who want the jobs). 

Anyone else want to chime in? 

Ya we rarely get such posts, probably 2-3 every month. But it might keep more people around forum. I would go with 'Jobs & Freelance'. While you are at it, consider making sub-forum for all NPM related questions.

I would have also requested area51 but all of our moderators have vanished. :D seriously, where is everybody?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sahil said:

Ya we rarely get such posts, probably 2-3 every month.

That could be because people don't want to post a job on a support forum. It will also move off of the first page in a couple days, so very few people will actually see it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

thank you for your answers friends.
it would be really great to see a section like this.

I think that does not require too much technical means.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:06 AM, Sahil said:

Ya we rarely get such posts, probably 2-3 every month.

it is quite rare to see people asking for a paid service on a general forum of mutual assistance, it is rather to private or in a section specially look for this kind of request.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:04 AM, GreenSock said:

I wouldn't think we'd need a separate forum for each side (those with jobs to offer and those who want the jobs). 

yes it perfect

It also very easy to setup a https://www.paypal.me/

It a fast service i used a lot.

I know your maybe a lot busy, do you think you will create this feature soon ?

I think it's a good idea, helps developers and businesses looking for them.

From a marketing perspective, it could also be beneficial to Greensock. A hub for hiring could generate more awareness and acceptance for the platform.

I would make sure you have some sort of messaging attached saying something to the effect that Greensock provides it only as a convenience and doesn't endorse any participants or have any responsibility for transactions.

On 6/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, jonForum said:

It also very easy to setup a https://www.paypal.me/

Was this a suggestion the service should be monetized?

• Like 5

I would say the idea, in paper, is very nice.

But the ramifications should be considered very carefully. Would these jobs postings be paid to appear? Or would they be free? If they are free, who is going to curate against bogus offers? Would GSAP be, in any way, responsible or answerable to any transaction or agreement that is made via the forums?

I personally, think opening a new section and labeling it as "Wild West" to make sure GSAP does not take any responsibility over it save from stopping spammers and scammers could be a good addition to the forums.

Good Morning! 

We now have a Jobs and Freelance board sitting with the other HTML5 / JS sub-forums

https://greensock.com/forums/forum/10-html5-js/

Thanks for all the great suggestions and the votes for moving ahead.

Yes, we agree there are some small risks, but the potential for this leading to positive results for the community seems to outweigh those. 

We created some basic guidelines to help manage everyone's expectations and start things running smoothly. 

We'll give it a shot and adapt as necessary. Thanks again for all your help!

• Like 2

I'll post my suggestions re the message here so as not to pollute the new forum.

Under Job posting  '...there's a high risk that qualified candidates will assume it isn’t worth their time. Remember, talented GSAP experts are in high demand. Please don’t waste their time.'

This perhaps makes gsap devs sound a bit like primma donnas and may be intimidating to some people thinking about posting a job, I  would consider softening the message a little.

Under Freelancers '...If customers report poor performance or abuse, you’ll be banned.'

Sounds a little harsh particularly as it seems to be targeted only at the freelancer suggesting you would arbitrarily take sides in favour of customers. A business relationship that goes sour may not be the developers fault. Issues also may not truly represent  abuse or poor performance, sometimes it just doesn't work out but some people can be vindictive about it, so I would be careful about wading into this.

Fair points, @Visual-Q. I adjusted the copy. 

If we receive complaints about your conduct (employers or developers), you may be banned from posting here. Again, we make no promises to investigate each and every claim or get into "he said, she said" back-and-forth, so it's in your best interest to keep things positive and exceed expectations. Make us proud.

Again, it'd become too burdensome to take on the role of adjudicator in any issues that arise between employer/freelancer. Typically when things get contentious, both sides have their own version of the truth and just want to complain about the other. Not productive for us to get involved. We'll certainly watch for patterns, though, and we won't hesitate to ban someone. Might there be cases when that's not totally warranted? Maybe, but I'd rather air on the side of caution and keep these forums populated with top-quality talent and employers that have a solid track record of managing expectations well. 

Oh, and for the record, in my experience over the past few years the most common problem is when a potential employer starts fishing for GSAP animators and ends up wasting their time because they have a tiny budget or no vision (but takes hours to explain the project and "interview" talent). Very frustrating for the GSAP developer. So I wanted to make sure that employers are sensitive to that. I feel this protective obligation to the users of our technology - the people who hang out in these forums every day. See what I mean? 

7 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

when a potential employer starts fishing for GSAP animators and ends up wasting their time because they have a tiny budget or no vision

I get it, however consider this: Would a freelancer or agency ever include the line "Please don't waste our time" in their messaging. I think you may be unintentionally putting a negative spin on the process that could discourage job postings. I think it is up to the freelancer to suss out a client, that's the nature of the business.

4 minutes ago, Visual-Q said:

I get it, however consider this: Would a freelancer or agency ever include the line "Please don't waste our time" in their messaging. I think you may be unintentionally putting a negative spin on the process that could discourage job postings. I think it is up to the freelancer to suss out a client, that's the nature of the business.

Not sure if you noticed, but I had already removed that language. However, yes, I think there are actually plenty of measures that smart agencies use to send a similar message ("don't waste our time") without necessarily using those words. 

And again, please keep in mind that our goal here wasn't to solicit business or impress anyone - it was to help make clean connections between potential employers and developers that are high-caliber, respectful, and trustworthy. I think it's fair to remind employers that GSAP developers shouldn't be treated like commodities and their time is valuable. Likewise, we reminded developers to fairly represent their work and give employers an idea of what their costs might be (in other words, don't waste the employer's time either). 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions - I think they made the guidelines better :)

• Like 1

Sorry I hadn't reread it I was just responding to your post, the new text is better.

11 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

However, yes, I think there are actually plenty of measures that smart agencies use to send a similar message ("don't waste our time") without necessarily using those words. 

I agree any good business should try to position themselves to attract the right clients, but they should never say it directly. That would be very damaging to their brand.

14 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Oh, and for the record, in my experience over the past few years the most common problem is when a potential employer starts fishing for GSAP animators and ends up wasting their time because they have a tiny budget or no vision (but takes hours to explain the project and "interview" talent). Very frustrating for the GSAP developer. So I wanted to make sure that employers are sensitive to that. I feel this protective obligation to the users of our technology - the people who hang out in these forums every day. See what I mean? 

My personal experience is being drafted to work on some project as the animator only to start working on it and be put in charge of the whole stack... End up spending 90% of the time developing everthing, 9% debugging and only 1% on the animation.

So sad... Maybe, one day, I'll learn webdev correctly and will be able to do more animation.

Or, maybe, I should learn to stop changing industries and focus on a couple of types of development. Not a new one each time...

Hi, supporting the new forum (I might post an offer to work, too).

Regarding this part of the posting guidelines for freelancers:

GreenSock is not liable for anything that happens before, after, or during the life of your project. Please don’t contact us for arbitration help. It’s fine if you want to simply report abuse.

I would change the second statement to:

Please don’t contact us for arbitration help - several freelancing portals offer so-called "dispute resolution services" that are recommended for potential arbitration.

(with no green, just in the mood :-) )

It's a simple addition that kills two flies at once:

1. It emphasizes that GreenSock staff will not do any arbitration if an employer and/or freelancer fail to do their part of an agreement.
  2. It educates all parties to use the third person - freelancing portal - for (also any potential arbitration of) the first project to establish the mutual trust before possibly directly communicating and working together in the future.

What do you think? I did only one first project with a new client using direct payment over PayPal, deliver the work and got paid - but a client objected, requested a refund and PayPal delivers that almost immediately with no arbitration. And client kept my work ...

I'm working over Freelancer (for 14+ years, back from RentACoder) and Upwork (from Elance) so can further help with any questions regarding these two portals. And I'm really grateful for the excellent GreenSock libraries.

BTW Upwork (US-based portal) gets more jobs monthly than Freelancer (Australia based portal yet biggest in the world) that mention GreenSock or GSAP as a requirement or "good skill to have". The number is still small though growing - the anticipation IMHO is to get more experienced GSAP developers on this forum compared to general outsourcing portals.

Thanks for the suggestion, @mattsrinc. Sorry to hear about the client/PayPal hassle. I know - PayPal has done that to us a few times and the customer never even bothered to contact us to begin with. We'd gladly give a refund to just about anyone who asks, but PayPal just yanks the money back and then charges a fat fee for a chargeback. 

I'd rather not suggest any specific "dispute resolution services" (or even mention them) because it could sound like an endorsement and we have no idea how good/reputable they are anyway. I'd rather just keep it as saying we're not responsible and please don't contact us for arbitration. If we get any requests, we could always refer them at that point I guess. 

Nice to hear that you're noticing a growing number of GSAP-related jobs out there. 

Thanks again!

I do think mattsrinc is onto something though.

Fair enough that you do not want to mention any particular service but, I think saying that one should always have a default arbritation system setup would be benefitial. If only for a beginner to be aware of that.