Search Community

IOS Audio issue

izorgor test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey guys, 

This is not strictly related to the greensock, but also could be :)  

I created a banner which has video inside and the video is muted. Whenever my banner is showed, no matter if inside app or inside browser, on IOS, any other sound in background (such as music player) will stop. I know this is default behavior of the IOS (and android as well), but I also saw that some company managed to build banner with video which doesn`t stop background music, but I`m still not sure how. 

So my questions is - is it possible to workaround somehow this issue inside banner itself via javascript or something ? Maybe something like playing video through the canvas (already tried that didn`t worked), or separating video and audio, dunno. Is there hack or a way to play video that will not affect background music on IOS ? !

Thanks

I really don't see how that would be possible. The whole point of the restriction is to stop annoying users. No sound is to be played unless the user actively interacts with a trigger - click, tap event.

Do you think you can find this example? The best way to solve this mystery would be to examine the source.

Totally agree about annoying users part. But the thing is that IOS stop background music even when the video inside banner doesn`t ghave sound or when sound is muted. So situation is like this:

- I listen to some music on spotify on my iphone

- I`m browsing some website in safari browser and the website is holding the ad which has video on autoplay but with muted sound. Therefore its kinda annoying if my spotify stop when the video sound in the banner is muted. 

With the banner that doesn`t have that issue situation is little bit different. If the video is autoplayed and its sound is muted, spotify or anything in background will continue playing. I can pause/play video it will still work. Only time when their banner stop background music is when i unmute the video sound, which make sense.