Search Community

ScrollTo Plugin - problem in W10 Firefox

closerlook test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am running into an issue with my QA department and using the ScrollTo Plugin on a Windows 10 machine while using Firefox. They are saying that the problem occurs in all Browsers, but I'm only able to replicate it in FireFox. 

This is what they wrote:

While the text is auto scrolling, pull the scroll down or click on the downward arrow to scroll the ISI down 
Expected result: user should be able to scroll up and down at any time 
Actual result: the scroll is not responding, a user needs to scroll up first to be able to scroll down

Is this a bug in the ScrollTo Plugin or my code?  

See the Pen ELMPqw by blooaux (@blooaux) on CodePen

First of all, welcome to the forums, @closerlook. Thanks for being a Club member.

Short answer: Set the autoKillThreshold to a lower value (default is 7):

ScrollToPlugin.autoKillThreshold = 3;

And make sure you're using the latest version - the codepen you posted is using a very outdated one. I know, it's counter-intuitive because it's pointing to the "/latest/" directory on the CDN, but unfortunately CDNJS stopped supporting that years ago and they refuse to update files there. We begged...they denied. So just point to /1.20.4/ instead, and you'll be golden.

Explanation: autoKill is enabled by default which means that ScrollToPlugin will automatically check to see if the value that it set on the scroll value last has been changed. If so, that means something else (typically user interaction) made it change, thus the tween should be killed (well, that part of the tween at least). The problem is that some browsers (like iOS safari) are pretty sloppy with those values, so even if (for example) ScrollToPlugin sets it to 112, Safari might alter that slightly (without any user interaction), so we had to build in a tolerance. That's where the autoKillThreshold comes in. 

Does that solve things for you? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1