Search Community

Google DoubleClick Custom Dynamic Banners

Bradley Lancaster test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi everyone,

Please i need to know if Dynamic (feed driven) Google DoubleClick banners can be hand coded and not created using Google Web Designer. If so does anyone have any base templates to start from. I hand code everything using GSAP and i just want to inject the data using Javascript and not be tied down to Google Web Designer. I am willing to pay for Live Online training for someone who can help me with this or even doing builds in Google Web Designer and adding custom code.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

Howdy, Brad. I can't imagine that DoubleClick would require that ads be built in GWD. That'd be pretty shocking. I know that a ton of ad designers/developers like yourself love building things with GSAP alone, and I also know that DoubleClick (and every major ad network) not only accepts GSAP-based ads but GSAP is the only robust animation library that is whitelisted from file size calculations. So I'd be very surprised if you ran into any problems with pushing a GSAP-based ad through any of Google's ad channels.

But again, I can't speak in any official capacity because I'm not Google and I don't really know much about their policies/requirements these days. Have you asked them directly? 

Perhaps one of the other ad gurus around here can chime in, like @ohem, @Oliver16Years, @davi, @volcanoflash, or @somnamblst

Good luck with the project!

• Like 2

There is no need to use GWD for DoubleClick. 
The Banner requirements depend on which DC Environment you will upload your Banner Ads.
There are:

• Double Click for Publishers
  • DoubleClick Studio
  • DoubleClick Campaign Manager

Will you upload directly to DC Environment or are you or your Customer using a Third Party Template to upload your Banner Ads?
If this is the case, there may be other banner specifications to follow.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have just successfully combined Animate CC Canvas animation with Doubleclick Rich Media Studio served Dynamic content, using z-index.  And I was able to incorporate all the DCRM stuff in an Animate publish template, so all the designers will be able to create their own DCRM creatives.

Edited to add DCRM support are dicks when they find out you are using Canvas.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies and help. I have successfully created dynamic ads using the Studio HTML5 SDK.

I follow the build guide @ohem referred to after completing two courses on the Google Academy of Ads.

These are the courses you need to do to understand how to get feeds set up in Studio and set up Advertisers and Campaings.

DoubleClick Studio Basics

DoubleClick Dynamic Creative Basics

Emailing Google to Get Studio Access did not work so i had to use the chat for account creation.

Dynamic Content is not set up as default i had to contact Google again (via chat) to have them change this setting.

There are around 30 steps to set this up the first time after you create your feed you can generate the feed code.

Inject the feed data with your own data.

I had to swap out low resolution images with high resolution images from an S3 bucket for a job as i was limited to 80kb but the client complained about image quality. We used dynamic ad placement to change the ad slot and now the client is happy. The things we have to do for some clients :-).

Cheers,

Brad

On 6/9/2018 at 2:05 AM, somnamblst said:

I have just successfully combined Animate CC Canvas animation with Doubleclick Rich Media Studio served Dynamic content, using z-index.  And I was able to incorporate all the DCRM stuff in an Animate publish template, so all the designers will be able to create their own DCRM creatives.

Edited to add DCRM support are dicks when they find out you are using Canvas.

Very interesting approach i think i will need to get onto using Animate CC so i can get some help from the Design Studio at work. Right now i can't keep up with the workload and i am the only HTML5 developer. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 2:04 PM, GreenSock said:

Howdy, Brad. I can't imagine that DoubleClick would require that ads be built in GWD. That'd be pretty shocking. I know that a ton of ad designers/developers like yourself love building things with GSAP alone, and I also know that DoubleClick (and every major ad network) not only accepts GSAP-based ads but GSAP is the only robust animation library that is whitelisted from file size calculations. So I'd be very surprised if you ran into any problems with pushing a GSAP-based ad through any of Google's ad channels.

But again, I can't speak in any official capacity because I'm not Google and I don't really know much about their policies/requirements these days. Have you asked them directly? 

Perhaps one of the other ad gurus around here can chime in, like @ohem, @Oliver16Years, @davi, @volcanoflash, or @somnamblst

Good luck with the project!

Thanks i followed some advice here and got it working such a relief!

On 5/15/2018 at 4:51 PM, ohem said:

You don't need to use GWD for DoubleClick. 

These are the steps you need: https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/3526354

Full documentation: https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/2691686

Hope it helps!  :)

Hey Ohem thanks so much i followed these guides and did some training on Academy for Ads now i can do Dynamic DoubleClick creative :-).

On 5/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, Oliver Müller said:

There is no need to use GWD for DoubleClick. 
The Banner requirements depend on which DC Environment you will upload your Banner Ads.
There are:

• Double Click for Publishers
  • DoubleClick Studio
  • DoubleClick Campaign Manager

Will you upload directly to DC Environment or are you or your Customer using a Third Party Template to upload your Banner Ads?
If this is the case, there may be other banner specifications to follow.

Hi Oliver thanks for you reply, i got things working. I set up the content then i share the Ad Id for the media agency. They traffic the ads via Campaign Manager and Adobe Advertising Cloud.

While Doubleclick does not require GWD, they definitely push you towards that solution, and have no active forum for Studio creative. The Doubleclick Studio dynamic template files are from 2014, and from what I can tell, any newer template activity in the database is all GWD. That being said, there is live chat when you are logged into Studio, and they are very helpful, just don't mention Animate.

I was able to determine that Animate CC canvas exports can play well with enabler.js, using z-index. You just have to change your images export path to ./ as Studio does not work with subfolders.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here is an example @maxflick injection two images after the page loads using the feed generated by studio after uploading the feed.

The click tags and api have been added and notice the folder structure is all in the root folder.

Notice in the console you will see Studio SDK load.

The images are hosted on S3 buckets you could easily make text editable in the feed as well.

Hope this helps :-).

300x600.zip

• 1 year later...