Search Community

Can't Target SVG Elements

Hugh Nivers test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I go to the Greensock Docs and find a piece of code like this:

TweenMax.set([obj1, obj2, obj3], {x:100, y:50, opacity:0});

I then take it over to my CodePen and use it as described, changing the properties I want to animate. It then doesn't work.  Nowhere in that section of the doc does it talk about exceptions for SVGs. Is there a difference? What am I missing?

See the Pen QrQaXN by hughnivers (@hughnivers) on CodePen

You have an error in your code. You've added a listener to the bar0 element, but the go() function doesn't exist.

bar0.addEventListener("mouseover", go);

Other than that, your selectors are fine and the SVG elements should animate correctly. You could also target the elements like this:

TweenMax.set("#bars rect", {transformOrigin:"center bottom", scaleY: 0.01});

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PointC said:

You have an error in your code. You've added a listener to the bar0 element, but the go() function doesn't exist.

bar0.addEventListener("mouseover", go);

Other than that, your selectors are fine and the SVG elements should animate correctly. You could also target the elements like this:

TweenMax.set("#bars rect", {transformOrigin:"center bottom", scaleY: 0.01});

Happy tweening.

:)

Thanks. I didn't realize that not having the function yet would break everything else. I commented it out and everything worked. Thanks for the pointer on targeting. 

2 minutes ago, Carl said:

Yup, PointC is exactly right. To see if animations worked I just got rid of the unnecessary code (eventlistener and circles) and put in a to() tween for the bars.

You should be good to go.

See the Pen NMyYry?editors=1010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Thank you for taking the time to demonstrate the animation. That helps. I appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, Carl said:

Happy to help... and so was everyone else by the looks of things :mrgreen:

I'm also here to pad my stats. @Sahil is charging towards his membership in Comma Club and @OSUblake came back last night with one of his answer tornado sessions so I'm just trying to keep up with the cool kids. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

Yep, @PointC and @Carl are right, of course. Also, one minor note: you're linking to the "/latest/" CDN directory which (strangely) is way out of date because CDNJS refused to support it years ago. So I'd recommend linking to /1.20.4/ (the actual latest version) :)

Thanks. What's the easiest way to get to the best version? I'm just typing in TweenMax and accepting what CodePen gives me. 

I'm also here to pad my stats. @Sahil is charging towards his membership in Comma Club and @OSUblake came back last night with one of his answer tornado sessions so I'm just trying to keep up with the cool kids. :lol:

I was on a mission to win 7 days straight, had to give up all hopes when I saw Blake online today. Looks like I will have to start over again someday.

Still 2 more to go, if anybody has 10 questions please post them today when none of mods are online. :D

• Haha 5