Search Community

Why does my bike break in some browsers? Rotation? and transformOrigin?

twentytwo-jase test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi @twentytwo-jase :)

Welcome to the forum.

I see that behavior in a few browsers. You may have some loose bolts in your SVG. ;) 

What you're seeing there is some browsers incorrectly rotating groups of groups. You'll find that using svgOrigin is far better than transformOrigin for rotations involving groups. So you'd write it like this:

tlwheelie.to(frameanddaryl, 0.2, {css:{rotation: 2, svgOrigin:"270 340"}})

// you also don't need the CSS wrapper
// you can write it like this
tlwheelie.to(frameanddaryl, 0.2, {rotation: 2, svgOrigin:"270 340"})

I made the change for Daryl and the frame. I think it's okay now, but if you see other groups that look odd, you may have to use svgOrigin for those too.

One other thing that was happening is you were creating all three wheelie timelines each time you clicked. If you click again during the wheelie, your positions starting getting messed up with tween overwrites so I'd recommend creating those timelines once outside of that function. You then play(0) them when you click. You could also add some logic to check if they are active and prevent additional clicks if true. That's entirely up to you.

As I noted above, the CSS wrapper isn't necessary for the tweens. You can use it if you like, but it will save some typing if you skip it. You also don't need to set the svgOrigin on each tween. (unless you're changing it) You'll see in my fork, that I added the svgOrigin to the first tween of the daryl/frame rotation, but didn't add it for the other tweens.

You can read more about svgOrigin here:

https://greensock.com/gsap-1-16

See the Pen VxbgXx by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening and welcome aboard.

:)

• Like 5