Search Community

GSAP Draggable Timeline Breaking if I Drag it While it's Playing

Chelsea test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Everyone!

I am working on an audio player that is controlled by a draggable element using GSAP. The audio and timeline animation work fine if the user pauses the clip before dragging the element, but if the user tries to drag the element while the audio is still playing the timeline breaks and returns a timeline.time() = 0 no matter what I try to pass into it. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

See the Pen NYeeZJ?editors=0011 by chelkweber (@chelkweber) on CodePen

Hi @Chelsea and welcome to the GSAP forums!

A few things I would do in this case. First, I would use a Tween to position the playhead by frequently polling the audio's currentTime/duration by using setInterval, clearing the interval onPress and recreating onRelease (in addition to the audio controls that happens in those events). I prefer an interval to an audio ontimeupdate event because ontimeupdate's frequency is all over the map. That way it's a simple positioning (as a % or the overall scrubbers width) vs modifying a timeline's playhead (i.e. progress) in parallel.

That way you can remove all your timeline stuff and use a simple Tween with the setInterval.

See the Pen deymVo by sgorneau (@sgorneau) on CodePen

Hope this helps!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1