Search Community

Changing draggable direction mid-drag?

green_machine test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Am going to be working on a project with a slider that looks and functions similar to a car's manual transmission, where the slider is able to be dragged in an |--|--| formation. So, you'd be able to drag the slider left and right along the middle x-axis, and when it reaches one of the junctions, draggable up and down along the y-axises. 

I haven't used the Draggable plugin much, so before I spend time trial-and-error-ing possible solutions, I was curious if:

1. This is easy to accomplish with the Draggable plugin. The examples on the Draggable page show that it's easy to make an object draggable along the x-axis, y-axis, or both axises, but is it possible to change that property seamlessly mid-drag?
  2. If not, how would you approach creating something like this?
  3. Are any CodePen examples that exist already so I can get ideas on how to structure it? 

Thank you to anyone that can provide some info!