Search Community

Custom animation clock source

Henke37 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

So I have an oddball project where I run animations in sync with an externally provided object (mostly embedded youtube players) and I want to sync the animation up with the object, even if said object runs slow/fast/jumps around. How do I override the used clock so that I can provide a custom one?

If you can tap into the progress property of the external object, you can pass that value to the .progress() method on a Tween or Timeline.

Example 

timeline.progress(.5);

This is a method used for lots of things, most commonly tying the tween/timeline to a scroll position.

• Like 3

Just now, Henke37 said:

That seems like it is for when I want to seek. I want to entirely replace the clock so that the value is automatically fetched from my source each animation frame.

Seeking is one use of that for sure. But you can constantly poll the progress attribute of your external object and pass that value to the Tween/Timeline's progress() to control its playback.

That's what I want to automate. I want to replace the polling that GS does automatically with polling that uses my timing source.

Well, I don't mind GS deciding when to poll. I just want to override the result.

2 minutes ago, Henke37 said:

That's what I want to automate. I want to replace the polling that GS does automatically with polling that uses my timing source.

Well, I don't mind GS deciding when to poll. I just want to override the result.

What I mean here wouldn't be GSAP polling anything ... it would be your own code requesting the progress value (or currentTime/duration) and passing that to a Tween/Timeline's .progress().  GSAP is doing nothing to request it ... you're pushing it to GSAP.

• Like 3

Yep, Shaun's approach seems right on to me. There isn't a way to hijack GSAP's root-level timing mechanism, but that really shouldn't be necessary (well, at least from what I can see). You can simply pause() the timeline/tween and then have total control over its playhead by setting either its time() or progress() in whatever way you please. See what I mean? 

• Like 3