Search Community
hakiko test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Dear Greensock community,

i've been trying to make a analog clock, that uses animations from tweenmax. I saw this thread and decided to use parts of that code

The clock works when refreshing the page continuously but the hole point of this clock is to just run by itself instead of having to refresh the page 1000 times. I tried to use a setinterval function but that breakes the animation.

So in short: the clock as of now does not update, it stays static, only refreshing makes the analog pointers move. How do i make them move like a normal clock.

Here's the code that i made using the thread/post above.

$(document).ready(function() {
    var datetime = new Date(),
        h = datetime.getHours(),
        m = datetime.getMinutes(),
        s = datetime.getSeconds();

var myPointerH = $('.clockH');
    var myPointerM = $('.clockM');
    var myPointerS = $('.clockS');

var oneSecond = 60/60; // 1 second
    var oneHour = 60 * 60; //1 hour tween
    var twelveHours = 12 * 60 * 60; //12 hour tween

var hourTween = TweenMax.to(myPointerH, twelveHours, {rotation:"360_cw", ease:Linear.easeNone,repeat:-1, paused:true});

var minuteTween = TweenMax.to(myPointerM, oneHour, {rotation: "360", ease:Linear.easeNone, repeat:-1, paused:true});

var secondsTween = TweenMax.to(myPointerS, oneSecond, {rotation: "360", ease:Linear.easeNone, repeat:-1, paused:true});

function showTime(){
        minutesAsSeconds =   m * 60;
        hoursAsSeconds = h * 60 * 60;
        secondsAsSeconds = s / 60;

hourTween.progress(hoursAsSeconds / twelveHours);
        minuteTween.progress(minutesAsSeconds / oneHour);
        secondsTween.progress(secondsAsSeconds / oneSecond);
        console.log(hourTween, minuteTween, secondsTween);
    }
        showTime();

setInterval(function() {
            showTime();
        }, 1000);
});

Kind Regards, Hakiko

The thread you linked has all demos that only run on page load, most probably OP wanted it that way.

If you want your clock to run like normal clock then it should track time every few milliseconds. So in your code you just need to update time inside your showTime function, all four variables datetime, h, m, s need to be updated so they will have new time.

The clock hands are being positioned by using flexbox and yPercent as -50, that will center them at bottom end. Transform origin is set to '50% 100%' which is at the bottom of the div so it will rotate clockwise from bottom. The rotation value is post-fixed by '_cw' which makes sure that clock will only run clockwise.

See the Pen LdEMdo?editors=0010 by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Sahil said:

The thread you linked has all demos that only run on page load, most probably OP wanted it that way.

If you want your clock to run like normal clock then it should track time every few milliseconds. So in your code you just need to update time inside your showTime function, all four variables datetime, h, m, s need to be updated so they will have new time.

The clock hands are being positioned by using flexbox and yPercent as -50, that will center them at bottom end. Transform origin is set to '50% 100%' which is at the bottom of the div so it will rotate clockwise from bottom. The rotation value is post-fixed by '_cw' which makes sure that clock will only run clockwise.

Dear Sahil,

Thank you for explaining, you're code was just what i was looking for.

Thank you!

-Hakiko

• Like 2