Search Community

Revealing more of image without changing width/height

SammyC123 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Is it possible to scale an image (from what is effectively a thumbnail) to the full browser width, while revealing more of the image itself? Basically growing a div's background image from just a section of it to the full thing.

The example I provided does this with width/height tweens, but I know that is not the best solution (for performance reasons). Curious if there's a better method for accomplishing this via GreenSock. I know you could also use another element to mask it, but that seems like a very clumsy solution.

Thoughts from the experts?

See the Pen EQpyPG by anon (@anon) on CodePen

Yeah, using canvas requires a little bit of setup. Another option would be scaling an outer element, and apply a counter scale to an image. It would at least perform better than animating width and height. One problem is that scaling in Chrome can be rather difficult due to bugs in will-change CSS property.

This is all done using scaling.

See the Pen VrXVWd by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

That's based on some stuff from this thread.

• Like 4

Dude, duuuuuuuuude! Blake, you are such a fountain of knowledge. The scale/counter-scale method is precisely what I was looking to achieve, and you even preempted my headaches with will-change.

Thank you yet again for the insight and the links to other resources. You are one of the main reasons this community is so incredible.

• Like 1