Search Community

How to get intermediate values from morphSVG tween

asistapl test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Here is how you can get it. The SVG path that you see is only updated externally using retrieved values.

See the Pen WMzdGb?editors=0010 by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

In case you don't want to create element. Another method I tried was using modifiers plugin it works but only if both paths have same number of points, I guess while working with svg element @GreenSock does some additional calculations.

See the Pen bLvaYd?editors=0010 by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much Sahil! Great solutions.
For now I'll try to implement something like this:

const obj = {
  d: "M1000,30.1V158H0V0c169.7,238.5,374.3-76,502.6,106.8C615.7,268.2,759.9-15.4,1000,30.1z"
}

TweenMax.to(obj, 1, {
  d: "M1000,157v1H0v-1h502.6H1000z",
  onUpdate: (v) => console.log(obj.d)
})

It works great.
I have relatively simple shapes to morph so I think I can make some modifications in Illustrator and use d attribute.
For more complex paths I will use your first solution.

Thanks, have a great day!

• Like 2

Yep, just to be clear, MorphSVGPlugin was built for SVG and it automatically does a bunch of work to subdivide and make sure the number of points match and that the shapeIndex is the most intuitive (how the shapes morph...like the order of the points). So if you're just animating a plain string, GSAP can of course do that (isolating each number in the string and interpolating between corresponding positions), but you lose out on the 2 magic pieces (matching point quantities and re-ordering the points so that the shapes morph in the most intuitive way). 

Does that help? 

• Like 3