Search Community

Background-clip:text + autoalpha + stutter

Intikas test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi and welceome to the GreenSock forums,

Thanks for the demos. 

I did some exploring and it seems that GSAP can set() the opacity just fine on that element and it works.

If you animate the opacity, GSAP will apply the values properly to the inline style but FireFox will not render the text with those values.

See the Pen LQQMJq by anon (@anon) on CodePen

My guess is that FireFox is doing some wonky performance optimization to not allow stuff with clip to get updated during rapid requests. Perhaps there is a way to trick it to render but I wasn't successful. 

From what I can tell this is not a GSAP issue or something it can solve, but perhaps someone else has some ideas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carl said:

My guess is that FireFox is doing some wonky performance optimization to not allow stuff with clip to get updated during rapid requests. Perhaps there is a way to trick it to render but I wasn't successful. 

Remember this?

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/10/the-whole-web-at-maximum-fps-how-webrender-gets-rid-of-jank/

That is the best explanation of how browser rendering works. Some people think animating opacity is cheap because it's not destructive, but that's not completely true. It can actually be a rather complicated process. See the part about "Minimizing the number of intermediate textures".

So yes, Firefox is most likely optimizing it. The will-change property is extremely difficult to work with when scaling, but it does serve a purpose.

.has-texture{
  will-change: opacity;
}

See the Pen GQQbvd by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 3