GreenSock

BONOMITE

GTM with Wordpress issues

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

So I have been experiencing some issue with GTM (Google Tag Manager). I was working on a Wordpress site... and I noticed that this error started to show up "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot create property 'greensock' on string 'firstname|lastname|username|email|emailaddress|ssn'" .

After pulling my hair out... I was able to fix the issue by moving down the GTM script to the very bottom of the head.

So now, I have another project. wordpress as well... and a developer is seeing the same issue... but ONLY in "gtm preview mode" . Any thoughts?

-Thomas

It sounds like there must be a "com" object defined in the global space that's not an object. For convenience, GSAP puts all of its classes in the reverse-domain standard of com.greensock (example: com.greensock.TweenMax, and com.greensock.easing.Power2). In other words, there must be something else that's declared "com" as something else like:

var com = 'firstname|lastname|username|email|emailaddress|ssn'; 

So when GSAP tries to add "greensock" to that object, it's throwing an error.

Possible solutions: 

1. Name that variable differently (anything but "com"). 
  2. -OR- try declaring a GreenSockGlobals object before loading GSAP, like var GreenSockGlobals = {}; because GSAP looks for that and if it finds one declared, that's where it'll dump everything. 
  3. -OR- Right before loading GSAP, re-declare that variable as something else, like com = {};. This assumes you don't need that old com stuff after that point. You could always store it in a different variable, redeclare it, load GSAP, and re-assign it back to the "com" variable after that (I doubt you'll need to do that). 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Good o'l Jack with the quick reply! Long time no talk... hope all is well. I have passed this info to my other developer. I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

-Thomas Bono

Hey Thomas! Blast from the past. Good to hear from you. Happy tweening, my friend. 

• Like 1

Thanks buddy! That information fixed the issue. Couldn't find anything online about it. Hope this helps others who experience this issue. Congraz on all your success! I got some ideas up my sleeve... keep an eye out in the next 2 years ;) 

• Like 1