Search Community

Gsap timeline control between two JS files

niiku23 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

It's my first question here. I've searched for an answer and not found one. I do not have experience of linking code between multiple javascript files which i guess is fundamental here. Thanks for any replies! 

I have projects with GSAP timelines in. I would like to create a separate javascript file that can control those timelines that can be added or removed without adjusting the individual project's code. My simple test of referencing the name of the timeline (and trying to control it) from one javascript file to another is not working. I need a very simple solution with no additional code libraries if possible? I am able to simply adjust and read variables between the two .js files.

HTML:

<script type="text/javascript" src="main.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="navigator.js"></script>

main.js:

var tl = new TimelineMax({});

tl.set(["#main_content"], {autoAlpha: 1});

navigator.js

tl.to(["#headline3"], 0.2 , {autoAlpha:.5}) ;

error: navigator.js:6 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'to' of undefined

Thanks for any help!

Nick

You will be able to access any global level variables of first file(file that is included first in your project) into the second file. But you can't access variables of second file into first. It's like the way you use any libraries like jQuery or GSAP, and use their methods/objects in your project. Now in your case it depends on where you are creating these variables and how you are including files in project and in what order.

• Like 5