Search Community

vue (nuxt) component timelines merged into one timeline

martis test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

Need advice on a general approach. Just started using Vue (nuxt). I’m building a site with say three components. Scene1, scene2 and scene3 inside a Site component. I want to keep the animation for each scene contained within the component Vue file. I then want to create a master timeline in Site that I can control as a user scrolls. 

I know how to create timelines and add timelines to other timelines, need advice on how I do it within Vue.

Curious if any Vue experts have advice on how to create the timelines in each component then merge them in a parent Site component. Or if this approach is bad :)

thanks!

Hi @martis!

I've got some experience with Vue but none whatsoever with nuxt.

The way I structured my last Vue project was having the animations totally separated from the actual components - The oposite to what you are asking... - But in modules that could be accessed from different points.

Something like:

> folder: animations

> > Shared.js

> folder: components

> > Component.vue

The the code would be something like:

// Shared.js
export default {

dur: 1,

svgDecoratorIn( el ) {

const trg = el + ' path'

return TweenMax.staggerFrom( trg, this.dur, {
      drawSVG:'50% 50%',
    }, 0.2 )

}

}

// Component.vue
<template>
 <div>
  <transition
    mode="out-in"
    v-bind:css="false"
    v-on:before-enter="beforeEnter"
    v-on:enter="enter"
  >
    <router-view></router-view>
  </transition>
 </div>
</template>

<script>
 import Shared from './Shared.js'

export default {
  methods: {
   enter(el, done) {
       this.$nextTick( function() {
        Shared.svgDecoratorIn( '#targetSvg' )
    }
   }
  }
 }
</script>

Obviously this is a massively oversimplified version of it but I hope it gives you an idea.

I would then make small flexible animation functions that would return a new Tween or Timeline based on the given element as an input. Those can be used to create more complex timelines, be called by parent components or children components.

The catch, to me is making sure the desired component exists in the DOM before calling the animation functions. I'm guessing Scene1, 2 and 3 don't all get loaded/rendered on page load.

An alternative technique, that I just thought of, if you really must have the animation encapsulated in the component, is to save your component timeline in a variable and $emit that up to the parent component. The parent component then, would grab the timeline from the payload and push into a master timeline of its own.

I need to have some lunch now but will try and have a proof of concept setup when I am back... Watch this space.

• Like 2

Rock on man! I agree the emit approach is the way to go. Would love to see an example where timeless can be emitted to the parent... the challenge would be how can I add them to the master timeline in a specific order? 

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

It is possible...

But I'm not sure I'd go this route. It feels full of little bits having to be aligned correctly and does forces whoever is working the code to really know his way around both Vue and GSAP. It really feels too flimsy and prone to breaking.

Then, you will have to create a store when things get more complicated and nesting deeper in order to be able to control it all. All in all an interesting challenge.

See the Pen pajNGw by dipscom (@dipscom) on CodePen

I'd think there are more that can be done with Vue's transition and component system. I'm just not too hot with it yet.

• Like 1