Search Community

Stagger a more complex Animation

romain.gr test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to create an animation and 'stagger' it over a list of element.

I explain myself, when using stagger you can only use the 'y' (or other css property) property only once  like this :

var tlGo = new TimelineMax({paused: true, repeat: -1});
tlGo.staggerTo(".line", 1, {x:50}, 0.005);

// In this case each line would go x:50 one after the other
// But what if I want to do x:50 then x:0 one after the other???

What if I want to stagger a more complex animation : 

tlGo.staggerTo(".line", 1, {x:50}, {x:400}, {y: 200}, {x: 100}, {y: 50}, 0.005);

//This obviously won't work, it's a way to explain my point.

What I would like to do is something like that (creating a complete animation) : 

tlGo.to(".line", 1, {x:50}, 0.005)

.to(".line", 1, {x:300, y: 20}, 0.005)

.to(".line", 1, {x:20, y: 200}, 0.005);

and then stagger this to each element.

I'm thinking about using a simple loop, but I would prefer do it the GSAP way if a GSAP way is available.

Hope you understand my question. Thank you

In the Codepen example I'm doing like this :

tlGo.staggerTo(".line", 1, {x:50}, 0.005)
        .staggerTo(".line", 1, {x:0, ease:easing}, 0.005, '-=.99');

But it's not exactly what I want to do. The timing is really hard to manage that way.

See the Pen PEJZbY?editors=0010 by romaingranai (@romaingranai) on CodePen

Edited by romain.gr

Yeah, synchronizing multiple staggers like that can be difficult.

If I need each element to do multiple steps I find it a bit easier to create a timeline for each element and then put each element's timeline into a main timeline like:

See the Pen PExdXY?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

You still may have to finesse the durations and offsets to get exactly what you want but I find it easier to work with.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks, I'm going to play around that solution. I have another issue, I think it's related (because of the timing), the problem is that the whole animation needs to be finished to start again. I'd like that each line move to left then right continuously, like a moving flag actually. 

We can just focus on the first line, it goes to right then come back to left, what I'd like to achieve is that the line as soon as it came to the original point start straight away to re-animate (right then left) and so on, yes, like a moving flag. 

Thank you btw ;)

Hey Carl,

it's exactly that, good job. I'd like to understand why switching from TimelineLite to TimelineMax does the trick?

Another question, are those Pens always available (so then I can check those when I need it), or it's better if I copy them into my own Codepen?

Thank you ;)

• Like 1