Search Community

IDE for using GreenSock?

RedUndies test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi All,

I'm just starting out with animation and stumbled across GreenSock - after watching the getting started video I somehow formed the impression that GreenSock included a developer environment... but that seems not to be the case.

Right now I'm using NotePad++ but would love to know what everyone else is using, the IDE shown in the video looks slick (but I think it is for Apple?) - what's a good IDE for a Win10 machine?

What other software do I need to get myself nicely setup?

Hi @RedUndies

GSAP doesn't have a developer environment, but you can use it inside pretty much any environment that can run JavaScript, like Adobe Animate.

I use several different products from Microsoft and JetBrains. The one I use the most is Visual Studio IDE, but I can't recommend that for most people as it can take some time to learn.

What I can highly recommend is Visual Studio Code (VS Code). It's smart, lightweight, and much easier to get started with. And I have no way to verify this, but it seems to be the most popular code editor among front-end/web developers. It also has a ton of really useful extensions, which you can check out here.  

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/vscode

WebStorm / PhpStorm is another great IDE, but it's not free.

And to tie everything together, I would recommend installing some type of live-reloading development server, like BrowserSync. This will allow you to load up your project on multiple devices, and it will automatically refresh/reload the page whenever you make changes to a file, just like on CodePen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1