Search Community

vertical round carousel

Raistlin test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi @Raistlin :)

That's a nice effect. Are you asking if that website uses GSAP or just how to make something like it in general? As far as I can tell, they're using CSS transitions. This would normally fall outside the scope of GSAP support, but coincidentally I'm in the middle of creating something quite similar for some interactive infographics so I'll show you what I'm doing. I'm using SVGs in my project, but you can do it with some plain old divs too.

The secret is setting the origin point for the divs so they go around the circle correctly. That website is using a pretty big parent circle (3000px) so they set the origin point of the divs to the center of that circle (1500px) and then rotate them. The fade at the top and bottom is accomplished with an additional div over the top of everything with a gradient background image that's transparent in the middle.

Here's a basic example of what you could do:

See the Pen YYxvgQ by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

I'm manually setting the start rotation of each box with a set() tween, but if you had a lot of elements, you could get them to their starting positions with a loop too. To get the infinite part to work, I simply set() the rotation of each box back to the beginning as it drops down out of view. I just use a simple counter to pick which box is set back to the beginning and when the counter reaches 1, I reset it back to 6. Again, the fade-out at the top and bottom is created with a gradient div over the top of everything.

There would be other ways to approach this, but this is how I'd do it. Hopefully it gives you a starting point. Happy tweening and good luck with your project.

:)

• Like 9

• 3 years later...
On 1/4/2018 at 9:19 AM, PointC said:

Hi @Raistlin :)

That's a nice effect. Are you asking if that website uses GSAP or just how to make something like it in general? As far as I can tell, they're using CSS transitions. This would normally fall outside the scope of GSAP support, but coincidentally I'm in the middle of creating something quite similar for some interactive infographics so I'll show you what I'm doing. I'm using SVGs in my project, but you can do it with some plain old divs too.

The secret is setting the origin point for the divs so they go around the circle correctly. That website is using a pretty big parent circle (3000px) so they set the origin point of the divs to the center of that circle (1500px) and then rotate them. The fade at the top and bottom is accomplished with an additional div over the top of everything with a gradient background image that's transparent in the middle.

Here's a basic example of what you could do:

I'm manually setting the start rotation of each box with a set() tween, but if you had a lot of elements, you could get them to their starting positions with a loop too. To get the infinite part to work, I simply set() the rotation of each box back to the beginning as it drops down out of view. I just use a simple counter to pick which box is set back to the beginning and when the counter reaches 1, I reset it back to 6. Again, the fade-out at the top and bottom is created with a gradient div over the top of everything.

There would be other ways to approach this, but this is how I'd do it. Hopefully it gives you a starting point. Happy tweening and good luck with your project.

:)

Hi PointC, how if we want to make it horizontal and start at top and the circle position is bottom?

• 2 months later...