Search Community

Create a radial wipe

anotheruser test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Yeah, there's no easy solution for a clip path like. Well, it's pretty easy to do with canvas, but most people aren't willing to try it.

For SVG, you have to recalculate the arc paths on every change, which can be really hard to understand. I understand how they work, but still get confused by all the different parameters.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Tutorial/Paths#Arcs

Here's a somewhat related demo that explains how the arc paths are calculated in the comments.

See the Pen OmgMNm by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Thanks again , is it possible to reverse the curve creation , now its clockwise , i need to do anticlockwise in your example i think it has to be done using startangle and sweep angle?

Hehe. And now you know why I hate SVG arc paths. :angry:

Try this. Set the start and end to 360, and tween the end to 0. Instead of messing with the internals of the getPath function, swap the start and end parameters around in updatePath function.

var arc = {  
  start: 360,
  end: 360,
  cx: 250,
  cy: 250,
  r: 150 
};

TweenMax.to(arc, 3, {
  end: 0,
  ease: Linear.easeNone,
  onUpdate: updatePath
});

function updatePath() {
  // clipPath.setAttribute("d", getPath(arc.cx, arc.cy, arc.r, arc.start, arc.end)); 
  clipPath.setAttribute("d", getPath(arc.cx, arc.cy, arc.r, arc.end, arc.start)); 
}

See the Pen e2fdfa0e2e5a5cf296655485402907f3 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Awesome! Thanks! I see all the images are in an <aside> set to display: none. Can the images in the <g> be removed and/or what do they do? I forked your pen and replaced the source images with SVGs. It doesn't appear to be cycling through like your. Also does centering have to do with viewbox in the SVGs? See: 

See the Pen NYoRry by jamesneufeld (@jamesneufeld) on CodePen

Hi @OSUblake!

@James Neufeld is my teacher, and actually found this thread/posted his questions on my behalf.

I'd like to do something similar to the radial wipe pen you linked above, but using SVGs with transparent backgrounds.

Because of the nature of your solution, when using images with transparencies #image1 is still visible behind #image2 as #image2 is revealed (as shown in my forked pen below).

What I would ideally like to do is re-mask #image1 in time with #image2's reveal, but I don't know how to go about inverting the effect of updatePath() to make it hide instead of reveal. Is this possible? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

See the Pen dmLbLJ by Memenaar (@Memenaar) on CodePen

• 3 years later...

Hi there! I'm super brand new to GSAP and haven't been able to find much more than this thread in reference to a radial wipe... I've tried a few things from in here, but it seems like some of the syntax is deprecated. Does anyone have a more updated version of this they've used and could share?

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, OSUblake said:

Hehe. And now you know why I hate SVG arc paths. :angry:

Try this. Set the start and end to 360, and tween the end to 0. Instead of messing with the internals of the getPath function, swap the start and end parameters around in updatePath function.

var arc = {  
  start: 360,
  end: 360,
  cx: 250,
  cy: 250,
  r: 150 
};

TweenMax.to(arc, 3, {
  end: 0,
  ease: Linear.easeNone,
  onUpdate: updatePath
});

function updatePath() {
  // clipPath.setAttribute("d", getPath(arc.cx, arc.cy, arc.r, arc.start, arc.end)); 
  clipPath.setAttribute("d", getPath(arc.cx, arc.cy, arc.r, arc.end, arc.start)); 
}

I can't make width and height 100%, does anyone know a solution?

On 1/9/2023 at 7:05 PM, Rodrigo said:

Hi @sawacrow,

You already created a thread for this particular effect, so please keep all the related questions in that so it's easier for us to track where to help you with your GSAP issues regarding this.

Thanks and Happy Tweening!

Thank you very much